Project:Requests/User rights/SVG (2)
- Requested user-rights: Administrator.
I want to delete (or move) outdated, unused and useless files, or images that are not related to MediaWiki.org (see Special:UnusedFiles, and of course, unused doesn't always mean useless). There are also some pages in extension namespace without links to downloads or codes on their description pages. These apparent extensions are disturbing if you are searching for an useful extension (yeah, I was confronted with that many times). There may be many administrators but there's noone who cares about old files and old extension description pages. Thanks! Tim (SVG) 11:12, 6 April 2012 (UTC)
- What a mess. I'll try to cleanup some of that myself, but your help would be great.--Jasper Deng (talk) 05:14, 7 April 2012 (UTC)
- Great, what a coincidence! File:Myriadextension2.png (in reference to Extension:Myriad), File:LilyPond-example2.png, File:DschosCalendar.png (perhaps, in reference to Extension:DschosCalendar), File:Ss parsermap.jpg (unknown copyright status, screenshot of a MediaWiki), File:Subfader - Advanced Search Collage.gif (no license and can't find any extension related to this image), File:New UserRights Interface - Lotsa Rights (all edited).jpg (has been used when the new userrights interface was introduced, no longer needed), ... The apparent extensions bother me the most: Extension:BikiWiki (wouldn't delete it now), Extension:Axiom (probably not under development anymore, download link doesn't work), Extension:Backup & Restore (this extension can't be under development anymore, has last been edited by the developer in 2007), Extension:Conf (link doesn't work anymore and will probably not again), Extension:CentralAuth/zh (cool translation) ... The bulk of them I find if I'm searching for usable extensions. Tim (SVG) 07:38, 7 April 2012 (UTC)
- Yeah, I've tagged two extensions as archived because of their neglect. I don't know about the Chinese translation, and I'll be contact BikiWiki's developer since it was supposed to be released 2 days ago. I've also deleted two of those images because they could possibly have bad licensing.--Jasper Deng (talk) 19:23, 7 April 2012 (UTC)
- Extension:CentralAuth/zh has just been created as copy of Extension:CentralAuth in February. Extension developers should be contacted before deleting their description pages if the download link is expired, sure. Archiving is also a possibility (and I rather agree with this). Tim (SVG) 19:28, 7 April 2012 (UTC)
- Please do make sure the file are indeed useless. The files could have been used in a previous version of an article and some orphan have been uploaded there to be linked to from one of the mailing lists.
- One possibility, would be to unorphan the material by adding them to existing articles. That will ensure we do not break some old links.
- Antoine "hashar" Musso (talk) 09:53, 11 April 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for that reference. I intend to be careful, didn't recognize that factor. What's about unlicensed files? Will I have to contact the uploader and delete it if he or she doesn't respond? I would do so. Tim (SVG) 10:02, 11 April 2012 (UTC)
- For the record, the files I've deleted so far are all possibly non-free.--Jasper Deng (talk) 15:12, 11 April 2012 (UTC)
There are many protected files that need to be deleted. In some cases the uploader can be notified but I wouldn't do it if the uploader is inactive in every Wikimedia project. Tim (SVG) 15:18, 11 April 2012 (UTC)