Release status: experimental
|Description||Adds social media sharing capabilities, without sending any user data, to wikis using sidebar portlet and page toolbar. With user preferences enabling/disabling the feature and individual services. Wiki SysAdmin settings to control the look, placement and appearance of the toolbar.|
|Author(s)||Gregory Varnum (Varnenttalk)|
|Latest version||0.1a (2011-12-4)|
|MediaWiki||1.17, 1.18, 1.19, 1.20|
Translate the WikiShare extension if it is available at translatewiki.net
|This page is currently a draft.
More information and discussion about changes to this draft on the talk page.
Extension in early development stages - page created as placeholder and container for any necessary discussion during development.
Concept[edit | edit source]
Develop a MediaWiki extension that allows social media sharing in a way that allows for deployment on WMF sites.
- No use of APIs or scripts
- No transmission of any of the wiki user's information - including IP address
- Only support services that allow URL based submissions
- Use Wikimedia Commons images
- Require use of InstantCommons or offer optional bundle of images?
- User preferences will allow wiki users to:
- Disable or enable entire social media sharing feature for people avoiding social media
- Disable or enable specific services
- SysAdmin settings to:
- Set defaults for user prefs
- Add additional or custom services
- Pick between 2-3 different toolbox designs
Notes[edit | edit source]
Sources for code[edit | edit source]
Working examples of concept in light form on current WMF sites:
Model code to borrow from:
Bugzilla considerations[edit | edit source]
General thoughts / essays[edit | edit source]
- User:Dantman/Post to social media feeds
- strategy:Product Whitepaper#Red link: Post to social media feeds
Interested in bug squashing[edit | edit source]
- your name here
Free floating ideas[edit | edit source]
- Dantman: When you get close to the sharing area a grey x shows up on the right side of it. When you hover over it a tooltip says something like "Disable share buttons." After clicking the button the share area is replaced with a message. For logged out users "Share buttons have been disabled temporarily. [Log in] to disable them permanently. - Undo" and a cookie is set. For logged in users the message is "Share buttons have been disabled permanently. You can re-enable them later in your [preferences]. - Undo"
- Dantman: After clicking the button the share area is replaced with a message. For logged out users "Share buttons have been disabled temporarily. Log in to disable them permanently. - Undo" and a cookie is set. For logged in users the message is "Share buttons have been disabled permanently. You can re-enable them later in your preferences. - Undo"