Token[edit | edit source]
To delete a page, a delete token is required. This token is equal to the edit token and the same for all pages, but changes at every login. Delete tokens can be obtained via action=tokens with type=delete (MW 1.20+), or by using the following method:
Obtaining a delete token
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <api> <query> <pages> <page pageid="1" ns="0" title="Main Page" touched="2007-09-03T20:32:21Z" lastrevid="20" counter="20" length="470" deletetoken="58b54e0bab4a1d3fd3f7653af38e75cb+\" /> </pages> </query> </api>
Deleting pages[edit | edit source]
Pages can be deleted with action=delete.
Parameters[edit | edit source]
- title: The page you want to delete.
- pageid: The page id of the page you want to delete
- token: The token obtained in the previous request. Take care to urlencode the trailing
- reason: The reason for the deletion (optional). If not provided, an automatically generated reason will be used.
- watch: Add the page to your watchlist
- unwatch: Remove the page from your watchlist
- oldimage: The name of the old image to delete as provided by iiprop=archivename
Example[edit | edit source]
Note: In this example, all parameters are passed in a GET request just for the sake of simplicity. However, action=delete requires POST requests; GET requests will cause an error. Deleting the Main Page with an auto-generated reason
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <api> <delete title="Main Page" reason="content was: 'content goes here' and the only contributor was Username" /> </api>
Possible errors[edit | edit source]
In addition to the usual stuff:
|notitle||The title parameter must be set|
|notoken||The token parameter must be set|
|permissiondenied||You don't have permission to delete pages
Note: On most wikis, deleting pages is restricted to sysops, but other wikis may have stricter rules.
|cantdelete||Couldn't delete "title". Maybe it was deleted already by someone else|