Mobile web projects
Features and design work on the Wikimedia MobileFrontend mobile gateway
Status: (2014-06-monthly) This month, the mobile web team finished work on styling the mobile site to provide a better experience for tablet users. We began redirecting users on tablets, who had previously been sent to the desktop version of all Wikimedia projects, to the new tablet-optimized mobile site on June 17. Our early data suggests that this change had a positive impact on new user signup and new editor activation numbers. We also continued work on VisualEditor features (the linking and citation dialogs) in preparation for releasing the option to edit via VisualEditor to tablet users in the next three months.
Team: Jon Robson, Juliusz Gonera, Ryan Kaldari, Max Semenik, Arthur Richards, Michelle Grover, Vibha Bamba
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please inform other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
Recent software changes
- The latest version of MediaWiki (1.24wmf15) was added to test wikis and MediaWiki.org on July 24. It will be added to non-Wikipedia wikis on July 29, and to all Wikipedias on July 31 (calendar).
- You can now download the latest version of the anti-vandalism tool Huggle.
- You can now create, edit, and view HTML comments in VisualEditor.  
- The cancel button in VisualEditor toolbar has been removed. You can still use the Read tab and the Back button in your browser to cancel your edit. 
- If you try to use a template which has no suggested or required parameters in TemplateData, you will now be asked to add the parameters.  
- You will no longer be able to edit a page if you can't create it, for example on pages protected against recreation.  
Future software changes
- You will soon be able to filter Meta-Wiki's user rights log by wiki and user.  
- Wikidata will soon be able to store data about article status, for example "good article" or "featured article". If your wiki has highlighted content, please make sure it is on Wikidata's list. 
- It will soon be possible to directly create empty pages, for example in the user namespace.  
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by MediaWiki message delivery • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.
Are you looking to work for Wikimedia? We're hiring!
New to project pages? Have a question about how things work? Read the how-to guide.