refers to the engineering
and product development
staff employed by the Wikimedia Foundation. Its mission is to build, improve and maintain the technical infrastructure of Wikimedia projects (software and hardware), by supporting and complementing volunteer efforts.
Current projects 
The Wikimedia Foundation Features Engineering team is responsible for developing new features for MediaWiki.
- Wikimedia Apps — Wikimedia Mobile Applications for iOS, Android, and new platforms
- Wikipedia Zero — Free and zero rated access to Wikipedia through our partners
The Wikimedia Foundation Platform Engineering team is responsible for the MediaWiki core, managing work from volunteer developers, as well as for providing services that are used by multiple technology teams.
Internationalization (Language Engineering) 
This team will be responsible for Internationalization projects.
- Language tools — Internationalization and Localization tools to enable use of Wikimedia projects in various languages.
- Milkshake — Create generic i18n tools in jQuery
The Operations team is responsible for the technical infrastructure of Wikimedia sites: this includes the data centers, servers and network. They document most of their work on the wikitech wiki. Also:
- Wikimedia Labs — A test environment using virtual machines for testing and experimentation