User:Jdforrester (WMF)

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to: navigation, search
James Forrester
Product Manager, VisualEditor team, Wikimedia Foundation
James Forrester

About me

I've been a Wikipedia editor since 2002 on the English Wikipedia and a few other Wikimedia projects (see my personal account). In May 2012 I joined the Wikimedia Foundation as the "Product Manager" for the VisualEditor team.

My work

My job is to help make sure the VisualEditor team understands what the community wants and needs, is focussed on the things that matter, and is engaging with and understood by the community.
Disclaimer: I work for or provide services to the Wikimedia Foundation, and this is the account I try to use for edits or statements I make in that role. However, the Foundation does not vet all my activity, so edits, statements, or other contributions made by this account may not reflect the views of the Foundation.

Contact me

  • E-mail: jforrester@wikimedia.org
  • IRC: "James_F" on freenode
  • Skype: jdforrester
  • GTalk IM: jforrester@wikimedia.org

Current projects[edit | edit source]

VisualEditor[edit | edit source]

You cannot delete templates' fields which are marked as 'required' using TemplateData, when you add a new template or edit and existing one (bug 60358). We tweaked the display of the keyboard shortcut help page which you can launch with  Ctrl+? or  Cmd+? (bug 69643). The context menu that appears when you select an image or a template will now "embed" on top of it again, if it's large enough; this was removed some weeks ago, but we're re-enabling it based on feedback, unless an inspector would be used (such as for formulæ). We also improved the appearance of VisualEditor for Monobook users.

There were two big issues we found that we fixed and released immediately. The first, which meant that many buttons didn't work correctly, was caused by a deployment error (bugs 69856 and 69864). The second was that the save dialog when the user had an edit conflict gave them nowhere to go (bug 69150).

We fixed a bug that caused some of your typing to be undone when you tried to cut a selection using some browsers (bug 58724). The categories suggested when you add a new one will now only cover categories with at least one entry, so former deleted categories won't show up (bug 70025). We took advantage of a change in MediaWiki to make the HTML we render for images simpler and essentially identical to that emitted by Parsoid (bug 66610).

We don't activate the "open" button in the link editor if the link is blank at first (bug 70015). There was an irritating bug that meant in some cases the link target you selected wasn't the one that was inserted. We're now more careful which bits of the page we think are the title to show and hide, as some gadgets could trick our previous code into odd behaviour (bug 69857). A rare bug that could cause minor whitespace changes, and in some unusual cases odd corruption changes to the wikitext (bug 69861).

Thanks to the Language Engineering team, we found and fixed a bug that crashed VisualEditor when trying to edit a page with a dir attribute but no lang set (bug 69955). An improvement to the media dialog fixed an error that could cause border setting to go away when you switched out the image for another (bug 69450).

For mobile tablet users, we fixed three bugs related to scrolling. Firstly, we had an issue where the cursor would jump to the beginning of the page, no matter where the user tapped; this now puts the cursor in the right place, though in some cases iOS will not scroll to the right location until the user starts typing (bug 66697). Secondly, a fix for a related issue from two weeks ago meant that scrolling didn't work when the keyboard was active; this is now possible again (bug 68828). Finally, if you abandon an edit we now correctly tear down the scroll-block so you can scroll the read page on cancelling (bug 69630).

As part of our work on Internet Explorer support, we worked around a browser bug that caused every inspector to close immediately after it was opened, and no longer show a background highlight on content blocks with a language annotation (as an IE bug causes those to not display the text). The OOjs UI library now contains a "" widget, and window managers can be destroyed. VisualEditor-core now has basic support for block images (<figure> / <figcaption>), and the IME simulation suite is now used in the testing framework to ensure we notice when we fix any issues with language support.

You can monitor the live results of the automated browser tests (triggered every twelve hours) on the server. A complete list of individual code commits is available in the 1.24/wmf19 changelog, and all Bugzilla tickets closed in this period are on Bugzilla's list.

Parsoid[edit | edit source]

With an eye towards supporting Parsoid-driven page views, the Parsoid team strategized on addressing Cite extension rendering differences that arise from site-messages based customizations and is considering a pure CSS-based solution for addressing the common use cases. We also finished work developing the test setup for doing mass visual diff tests between PHP parser rendering and Parsoid rendering. It was tested locally and we started preparations for deploying that on our test servers. This will go live end-July or early-August.

The GSoC 2014 LintTrap project continued to make good progress. We had productive conversations with Project WikiCheck about integrating LintTrap with WikiCheck in a couple different ways. We hope to develop this further over the coming months.

Overall, this was also a month of reduced activity with Gabriel now officially full time in the Services team and Scott focused on the PDF service deployment that went live a couple days ago. The full team is also spending a week at a off-site meeting working and spending time together in person prior to Wikimania in London.

ResourceLoader (maintenance-only)[edit | edit source]