Wikimedia has been accepted as a mentoring organization for GSoC 2014.
Google Summer of Code 2014 was announced in Tuesday, October 08, 2013 and is one of the mentorship programs we are planning to organize.
See also the parallel program FOSS Outreach Program for Women/Round 8.
For more detail, check the official timeline.
- 24 February: List of accepted mentoring organizations published
- 11 March: Wikimedia IRC meeting (logs)
- 21 March: Student application deadline
- 9 April: Slot allocations published to mentoring organizations
- 21 April: Accepted student proposals announced
- 19 May: Official start.
- 20 May: GSoC & OPW IRC meeting (logs)
- 23-27 June: Mid term evaluations by students and mentors.
- 18 August: Firm 'pencils down' date.
- 19 August: GSoC & FOSS OPW wrap-up meeting on IRC; #wikimedia-office @ 3pm UTC
- 18-22 August: Final evaluations by students, mentors, and organization administrators.
- 22 August: Final evaluation deadline
- 25 & 26 October: Mentor Summit at Google
Reporting progress is essential in free software projects. Good reports are concise, they highlight relevant progress/blockers, and they link to bug reports, patches, or other interesting pages.
Good examples of reporting include Maria Pacana, ...
Participants are required to share Updates about their projects:
- initial announcement on Wikitech-l
- initial microtasks completed
- community bonding report by 25 May including links to
- goals for the first half of the internship
- communication plan
- lessons learned since 21 April
- first weekly report by 30 May
- project wrap-up post by 20 August
||Tools for mass migration of legacy translated wiki content
||Niklas Laxström, Federico Leva
||Switching Semantic Forms autocompletion to Select2
||Yaron Koren, Stephan Gambke
||Roorkee, Uttarakhand, India
||Annotation tool that extracts information and feed it on wikidata
||Cristian Consonni, Andrea Zanni, Simone Fonda, Christian Morbidoni, Luca Martinelli
||Add proper email bounce handling to MediaWiki (with VERP)
||Jeff Green,Kunal Mehta
||New Delhi, India
||(Automation Tool) Google Books > Internet Archive > Commons upload cycle
||Aubrey, Yann, Tpt
||UniversalLanguageSelector fonts for Chinese wikis
||bug 31791 bug 63122
||Catalogue for MediaWiki extensions
||Markus Glaser, Mark Hershberger
||MassMessage page input list improvements
- Wikitech-l annoucement(student): Done
- Two mentors: Done
- Microtasks(student): Done
- Bonding (student): Done
- May report (student): Done
- Mid-term evaluations (mentors & student): Done
- June report (student): Done
- July report (student): Done
- Final evaluation (mentors & student): Done
- Final report (student): Done
- Code sample to Google (student): Done
- Weekly progress report (student)
|Book management in Wikibooks/Wikisource
||51239, 53286, 52435
||Generic, efficient localisation update service
||Parsoid-based online-detection of broken wikitext
||Cscott , Ssastry
||Usability improvements for the Translate extension
||Robin, Siebrand Mazeland
||bug 35489, bug 51533, bug 37297 & bug 39415, bug 34098, bug 36298
||A modern, scalable and attractive skin for MediaWiki
|Vikas S Yaligar
||Surathkal, Karnataka, India
||Automatic cross-language screenshots for user documentation
||Amir Aharoni, James Forrester and the Quality Assurance team
||Separating skins from core MediaWiki
||Jon Robson, Ori Livneh
||bug 60453, bug 43658
||Chemical Markup support for Wikimedia Commons
||Gilles Dubuc, Brian Wolff, Bryan Davis