||The author of this extension is no longer maintaining it! Meaning any reports for additional features and/or bugfixes will more than likely be ignored. Volunteers are encouraged to take on the task of developing and maintaining it. As a courtesy, you may want to contact the author. You should also remove this template and list yourself as maintaining the extension in the page's
The WYSIWYG extension enables a more intuitive editing of pages on a MediaWiki-based site. When this extension is installed, the tab 'Edit' in the command bar on top of every page leads directly in the wysiwyg editing mode.
It uses a special version of the CKeditor that outputs wiki text rather than the usual HTML that caused problems for MediaWiki integrations in the past.
|Warning:||Be sure that you check the dependencies for this extensions. Other combinations will most likely fail.|
Features of the WYSIWYG extension[edit | edit source]
The WYSIWYG extension supports the following:
- importing / insertion of tables, images, formatting stuff like enumerations, font style etc. as well as links
- real copy and paste without postprocessing
- working with the known Word-like toolbar arrangement
- using special characters
- real time spell-checking with recommender function
- undo/redo and find and replace functionality
Download[edit | edit source]
- WYSIWYG (dependencies, download, help)
||Version from WYSIWYG.php||Source
http://sourceforge.net .... wysiwyg-1.6.0_0.zip
http://sourceforge.net .... wysiwyg-1.7.0_1.zip
||git.wikimedia.org repository (mirror in github repository: "wikimedia/mediawiki-extensions-WYSIWYG")
||wiki.linuxmatter.com .... User made (experimental)
docs.google.com ... WYSIWYG_MW_v1.20.2.zip
User patched (PHP 5.4.8 compatible): almost identical to contents of #x.3, some SMWHalo part removed.
||"CKEditor in MediaWiki"
github.com repository: Ciges/CKEditor_in_MediaWiki
User made (beta). Patched versions of WikiEditor and WYSIWYG working together. Tested with 1.20.7 and 1.20.8 MediaWiki versions
docs.google.com ... WYSIWYG_MW_v1.20.2.zip (bundle is for MW1.20.2, same as #x.4 abowe))
For MediaWiki 1.21.1 make manually following modifications with it:
Patch #1 Remove (or comment) the two lines that contains wfLoadExtensionMessages( 'CKeditor' ); (probably line 345 and 532) in WYSIWYG/CKeditor.body.php and use these settings: Thread:Extension talk:WYSIWYG/Yes: Working with MW-1.21+ with some settings.
Patch #2: Fix one line in WYSIWYG/CKeditorLinker.php to prevent 404/Forbidden error when hitting CANCEL:
drive.google.com ... WYSIWYG_MV_v1.22.0.zip
Works on MediaWiki 1.22.0.
User patched: Tested with IE10 and Chrome, Apache/PHP 5.5.3.
||wikirouge.net .... WYSIWYG.zip(based on WYSIWYG_MV_v1.22.0.zip)
NOTE! Simple link does not work with MW 1.22 (browsers: IE11 / FireFox v26.0). More advanced category function + additional modifications in #6 (Riparap).
||1.21.2 1.22.0 1.22.1 1.22.2 1.22.3
||github.com repository: Mediawiki-wysiwyg/WYSIWYG-CKeditor. Based on #3 WYSIWYG_MW_v1.20.2.zip and #4 WYSIWYG_MV_v1.22.0.zip and partly #5: (does not include all of #5:). Additional modifications .
||IE8, IE11, FireFox (v26.0, v27.0), Chrome (v.32.0.1700.76 m, v.33.0.1750.117 m)
- Buttons to add a reference (footnote), button to add the [[...]] in one click when text link is target link, autofilling of the link dialog with selected text + autosearch, <math></math> tags aren't destroyed anymore by the parser
- Stable branch "master" has CKeditor 3.6, branch "CKeditor_v4" has updated CKeditor 4.3.3 (experimental)
- Reference, category and image dialogs. WikiEditor support. IE11 browser issues. Fixed double click of icon_template.gif. Fixed crash of tag- dialog special.js. Fixed IE8 compatibility issues with bulleted list and ref.js. Enabled wysiwyg in native mode of IE11. Fixed "source lang=xxx..." as own element with Tag-dialog. Fixed text format error on conflict page. Fixed getNative() problem with IE in ref.js and category.js dialogs.
- IE7 is not compatible, IE browsers (IE8,9,10) should not have any compatible settings on for your wiki site.
- #6 bundle of wysiwyg should work with IE11 native mode ("Edge"). Compatibility view mode should not be selected with IE11 for your wiki site (setting is located here: "Tools=>Compatibility View settings", deselect option "Display intranet sites in compatibility view" in case your wiki is internal or remove site name from the list).
Installation on Mediawiki 1.17+[edit | edit source]
|Warning:||The developer's site is no longer there, so instructions on installation were retrieved from Google cache and published here. Please use at your own risk.|
- Download and extract the files in a directory called
extensions/folder. If you're a developer and this extension is in a Git repository, then instead you should clone the repository.
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
require_once( "$IP/extensions/WYSIWYG/WYSIWYG.php" ); $wgGroupPermissions['*']['wysiwyg']=true; // for all users #$wgGroupPermissions['registered_users']['wysiwyg']=true; // or only for registered users
- Done – Navigate to "Special:Version" on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
Configuration[edit | edit source]
Customize the toolbar[edit | edit source]
Everything is explained here.
Disable for some namespaces[edit | edit source]
To disable the rich editor for some namespaces (for example, here Mediawiki), add the following code in your LocalSettings.php :
$wgFCKEditorExcludedNamespaces = array(NS_MEDIAWIKI);
Style the content of the editor[edit | edit source]
Two solutions :
- Edit the file ckeditor/contents.css
- Point to the css file of your choice, adding this line to ckeditor/config.js :
config.contentsCss = 'path/to/your/file.css';
Improvements[edit | edit source]
- One button to add the [[...]] in one click when text link is target link (incl. in #5 of Downloads section abowe)
- Autofilling of the link dialog with selected text, and autosearch (incl. in #5)
- One button to add a reference (footnote) (incl. in #5 and #6)
- One button to add the <reference/> bloc (incl. in #5 and #6)
- <math></math> tags aren't destroyed anymore by the parser (incl. in #5 and #6)
- Fixed Images dialog (parameters) (incl. in #5 and #6)
- Dialog to handle categories (incl. in #6)
- Make a dialog to handle math formulas
- [//en.wikipedia.org wikipedia] is considered as internal link
Known incompatibilities with extensions[edit | edit source]
- May not work if you use the FileLink extension
- May not work with the HoverGallery extension
Development Repositories[edit | edit source]
If anyone is interested in developing the extension further, there are two known repositories created by users:
- "WYSIWYG" wikimedia.org repository from Wingsofcourage (#1 of Downloads section abowe)
- "CKEditor in MediaWiki" github.com repository from Ciges (#2 of Downloads section abowe)
See the discussion/talk page to get in touch with the owners of these repositories.