||This extension is currently not actively maintained! Meaning any reports for additional features and/or bugfixes will more than likely be ignored. Volunteers are encouraged to take on the task of developing and maintaining it. As a courtesy, you may want to contact the author. You should also remove this template and list yourself as maintaining the extension in the page's
The WYSIWYG extension enables a more intuitive editing of pages on a MediaWiki-based site. When this extension is installed, the tab 'Edit' in the command bar on top of every page leads directly in the wysiwyg editing mode.
It uses a special version of the CKeditor that outputs wiki text rather than the usual HTML that caused problems for MediaWiki integrations in the past.
|Warning:||Be sure that you check the dependencies for this extensions. Other combinations will most likely fail.|
- 1 Features of the WYSIWYG extension
- 2 Download
- 3 Installation
- 4 Configuration
- 5 Improvements
- 6 Known incompatibilities with extensions
- 7 Development Repositories
Features of the WYSIWYG extension[edit | edit source]
The WYSIWYG extension supports the following:
- importing / insertion of tables, images, formatting stuff like enumerations, font style etc. as well as links
- real copy and paste without postprocessing
- working with the known Word-like toolbar arrangement
- using special characters
- real time spell-checking with recommender function
- undo/redo and find and replace functionality
Download[edit | edit source]
- WYSIWYG (dependencies, download, help)
||Version from WYSIWYG.php||Source
http://sourceforge.net .... wysiwyg-1.6.0_0.zip
http://sourceforge.net .... wysiwyg-1.7.0_1.zip
||git.wikimedia.org repository (18.8.2014), mirror in github repository: "wikimedia/mediawiki-extensions-WYSIWYG")
||wiki.linuxmatter.com (15.3.2012).... User made (experimental)
docs.google.com (18.2.2013)... WYSIWYG_MW_v1.20.2.zip
User patched (PHP 5.4.8 compatible): almost identical to contents of #x.3, some SMWHalo part removed.
||"CKEditor in MediaWiki"
github.com repository (9.4.2014): Ciges/CKEditor_in_MediaWiki
User made (beta). Patched versions of WikiEditor and WYSIWYG working together. Tested with 1.20.7 and 1.20.8 MediaWiki versions
docs.google.com (18.2.2013) ... WYSIWYG_MW_v1.20.2.zip (bundle is for MW1.20.2, same as #x.4 above))
For MediaWiki 1.21.1 make manually following modifications with it:
Patch #1 Remove (or comment) the two lines that contains wfLoadExtensionMessages( 'CKeditor' ); (probably line 345 and 532) in WYSIWYG/CKeditor.body.php and use these settings: Thread:Extension talk:WYSIWYG/Yes: Working with MW-1.21+ with some settings.
Patch #2: Fix one line in WYSIWYG/CKeditorLinker.php to prevent 404/Forbidden error when hitting CANCEL:
drive.google.com (16.12.2013) ... WYSIWYG_MV_v1.22.0.zip
Works on MediaWiki 1.22.0.
User patched: Tested with IE10 and Chrome, Apache/PHP 5.5.3.
|wikirouge.net (13.1.2014).... WYSIWYG.zip is based on WYSIWYG_MV_v1.22.0.zip||Varlin
||1.21.2, 1.22.0 - 1.22.12, 1.23.0 - 1.23.5
||5.4.22 5.5.6 5.5.15
||5.5.33 5.6.14 5.6.20
||github.com repository (21.11.2014):||IE8, IE11, FireFox , Chrome 
- Git -branch "CKeditor_v4" has updated CKeditor 4.4.4, this branch has the most recent modifications. Branch "master" has older version of CKeditor 3.6, "master" branch does not have all of the latest modifications.
- WikiEditor has been upgraded from 0.3.0 (of MW 1.22.0) to 0.4.0 (of MW 1.23.3) in #6.
- Quick list of improvements is below. For more details, see readme.md here: https://github.com/Mediawiki-wysiwyg/WYSIWYG-CKeditor
- IE7 is not compatible, IE browsers (IE8,9,10,11) should not have any compatible settings on for your wiki site.
- #6 bundle of wysiwyg should be used with IE11 native mode ("Edge"), compatibility view mode should not be enabled with IE11 for your wiki site (setting is located here: "Tools=>Compatibility View settings", deselect option "Display intranet sites in compatibility view" in case your wiki is internal or remove site name from the list).
- FireFox v26.x - v33.x
- Chrome v.32.x - v.38.x
Installation[edit | edit source]
Mediawiki 1.17+[edit | edit source]
|Warning:||The developer's site is no longer there, so instructions on installation were retrieved from Google cache and published here. Please use at your own risk.|
-Quick note! When you extract the zip file you get a bunch of stuff that doesn't seem to be needed, copy the WYSIWSG folder from the extracted files into the extensions directory, then copy the code from below into LocalSettings.php Otherwise everything seems to break.
- Download and extract the tarball in your
extensions/folder. It should generate a new folder called
WYSIWYGdirectly inside your
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
require_once "$IP/extensions/WYSIWYG/WYSIWYG.php"; $wgGroupPermissions['*']['wysiwyg']=true; // for all users #$wgGroupPermissions['registered_users']['wysiwyg']=true; // or only for registered users
- Done! Navigate to "Special:Version" on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
Mediawiki 1.22+ and #6 bundle of Download -section[edit | edit source]
For more information about proper settings of LocalSettings.php etc. with MW 1.22+ and #6 bundle, see README.md (on github -page).
Configuration[edit | edit source]
Customize the toolbar[edit | edit source]
Everything is explained here.
Disable for some namespaces[edit | edit source]
To disable the rich editor for some namespaces (for example, here Mediawiki), add the following code in your LocalSettings.php :
$wgFCKEditorExcludedNamespaces = array(NS_MEDIAWIKI);
Style the content of the editor[edit | edit source]
Two solutions :
- Edit the file ckeditor/contents.css
- Point to the css file of your choice, adding this line to ckeditor/config.js :
config.contentsCss = 'path/to/your/file.css';
Config "Paste as ..."[edit | edit source]
When clicking "Paste as..." button under Firefox, you may get a popup telling your browser can't access your clipboard. This is a security protection, but you can configure your browser so that it makes an exception for your wiki. Thus, you will be able to paste in one click, with no need to paste in the dialog field and then validate. See here.
Improvements[edit | edit source]
Modifications (#5 and #6 refer to Download section above)
- Buttons to create a references (footnotes): <ref>...</ref> and <reference/> (incl. in #5 and #6)
- <math></math> tags aren't destroyed anymore by the parser (incl. in #5 and #6)
- Fixed Images dialog (parameters) (incl. in #5 and #6)
- Button to add [[...]] in one click in order to convert text as target link (incl. in #5 and with additional modifications in #6)
- Autofilling of the link dialog with selected text, and autosearch] (incl. in #5 and with additional modifications in #6)
- Dialog to handle categories (incl. in #6)
- [//en.wikipedia.org wikipedia] is considered as external link (incl. in #6)
- Wysiwyg works with poll- and ajaxpoll- extensions (incl. in #6)
- Math -formulas as well as contents of all other unknown mediawiki tags should now be possible to enter/update using tag -dialog of wysiwyg (incl. in #6)
- Works with the gallery- and hovergallery- tags (HoverGallery extension) (incl. in #6)
Possible customizations :
- Disable search for images in link dialog (incl. in #5) Question: Is this necessary modification? You can already now specify namespace as search criteria in link dialog using ":", f.ex. keying in "image:eifel" (without quotes) will search only image names starting with string "eifel". Other namespaces works similarly.
Known incompatibilities with extensions[edit | edit source]
- May not work if you use the FileLink extension.
Development Repositories[edit | edit source]
If anyone is interested in developing the extension further, there are three known repositories created by users:
- "WYSIWYG" wikimedia.org repository from Wingsofcourage (#1 of Download section above)
- "CKEditor in MediaWiki" github.com repository from Ciges (#2 of Download section above)
- Mediawiki-wysiwyg github.com repository (#6 of Download section above)
See the discussion/talk page to get in touch with the owners of these repositories.