Release status: unknown
|Description||Manage creating, processing, and closing tasks for a page|
|License||No license specified|
|Check usage and version matrix|
|Bugs: list open list all report|
The Tasks extension was created by Magnus Manske in December 2005. Its purpose is to manage creating, processing, and closing tasks for a page.
- Download the snapshot that matches your version of MediaWiki.
- Extract the files from the
.tar.gzand then create a Tasks directory under your
extensionsdirectory and place the files under this directory.
- Look at the comment at the beginning of the file. Run the MySQL statement (with respect to your database prefix!).
- Add the following line to the bottom of LocalSettings.php (though not after trailing ?>, if it is present):
require_once("$IP/extensions/Tasks/Tasks.php"); $wgTasksNamespace = 200; // Change this to your liking $wgExtraNamespaces[$wgTasksNamespace] = "Task"; $wgExtraNamespaces[$wgTasksNamespace+1] = "Task_Talk";
- Installation can now be verified through Special:Version of your wiki.
You can change the appearance and behaviour of the extension through system messages and CSS settings.
System messages 
Several system messages (in the "MediaWiki:" namespace) serve as settings for the extension. They all start with "tasks_".Some important ones are listed below.
Task messages 
- This is a list of available task types. Task types are separated from each other by a "|", and each has the form "NUMBER:TEXTKEY:TEXT", where TEXT is the local translation (e.g., "Clean up") and TEXTKEY is a one-word key (e.g., "cleanup"). NUMBER is used internally in the database. Each NUMBER and TEXTKEY has to be unique. Once a type is in use, neither NUMBER or TEXTKEY should never be changed. You can deactivate a task type by removing its data-triple here, however, do not reuse either the NUMBER or the TEXTKEY on anothe task type. Several of the other messages and CSS styles use the TEXTKEY.
- A comma-separated list of NUMBERs. List the numeric key of each task type here which comprises a "page creation". Upon creation of the requested page, all such tasks will be automatically closed.
- The order for messages to appear in the header of pages with tasks. Only tasks with a type mentioned here can appear in the header, and of these only the "highest-ranking" one will appear. Example "rewrite<delete": Only "rewrite" and "delete" tasks can cause a header note, and if both are present, only "delete" will be shown, as it has the highest rank.
- For each task type in tasks_significance_order, the message to display in the header. The message box is a div element with the ID "task_sign".
Status messages 
- Several messages, one for each (open,assigned,closed,wontfix). Contains the translation of the task status (e.g., tasks_status_wontfix="Won't fix").
- Similar to the one above, this one holds the background color of the status cell in the task tables (e.g., "red" or "#FF9999").
- Again, for each status, this contains the translation for action-after-the-fact (e.g., "Task \"$1\" opened.").
Other messages (there are lots more!) 
- tasks_existing_table_header:The header titles for the status tables. Each header is separated with a "|".
- The ID of the title of the header of "Task:" pages.
- The ID of the table in the header of "Task:" pages.
- For each textkey in tasks_task_types, the ID of the li element in the sidebar.
- The ID of the transcluded task talk page (user option, default=off).
Little known features 
- If there is a create and/or write request for a "blank" page, and this page is created, the appropriate tasks are automatically closed.
- If a page is deleted, all its tasks are removed as well (should probably be turned off?).
- Every change in a task status is logged on a log page, and shown in RecentChanges as well.
- In order to close or assign tasks you need to be a logged in user.
Wish List 
- When a Task is assigned , it should be sent an Email to assigned user.
- When a user logs in, there must be an automatic display of their (pending and new) tasks.
- A way to see a sumary of open tasks at another page than the tasks search page, I want open tasks in a list at my front page.
- Sentences such as "Very well" "Splendid" "Go on" would appear for every task done (or it might be Anthe re's flower)