| Semantic Tasks|
Release status: beta
|Description||Provides email task notifications and reminders|
|Author(s)||Steren Giannini, Ryan Lane|
|Last version||1.4.2 (October 2012)|
|License||GNU GPLv2 (or later)|
|Check usage and version matrix; Tasks code metrics|
The Semantic Tasks extension works in conjunction with another extension, Semantic MediaWiki, to provide email task notifications and reminders.
Semantic Tasks was originally developed for the Creative Commons internal task- and project-tracking system ccTeamspace.
Requirements[edit | edit source]
Semantic Tasks requires:
Description[edit | edit source]
- After a task creation, users assigned to the task and following the task receive a "New Task" mail containing the task text.
- After a task is modified, users assigned to the task and following the task receive a "Task Updated" mail containing a diff of the modification.
- The editor of the task doesn't receive a mail after his edit.
- If the edit is a minor edit, no mail is sent.
Download[edit | edit source]
You can download the extension directly from the MediaWiki source code repository (browse code). You can get:
- One of the extensions tags
Not all extensions have tags. Some extensions have tags for each release, in which case those tags have the same stability as the release. To download a tag
- Go to the tags list
- Click the name of the tag you want to download
- Click "snapshot"
- The latest version of one of the extensions branches
Each extension has a master branch containing the latest code (might be unstable). Extensions can have further branches as well.
- Go to the branches list
- Click the branch name
- Click "snapshot"
- A snapshot made during the release of a MediaWiki version.
This might be unstable and is not guaranteed to work with the associated MediaWiki version.
After you've got the code, save it into the extensions/SemanticTasks directory of your wiki.
If you are familiar with git and have shell access to your server, you can obtain the extension, with all its tags and branches, as follows:
cd extensions git clone
Installation[edit | edit source]
- Download and extract the files in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
$ crontab -e
And add the following line to execute the script every day at 12:
* 0 12 * * * php extensions/SemanticTasks/ST_CheckForReminders.php
- Done – Navigate to "Special:Version" on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
Configuration and Usage[edit | edit source]
Properties[edit | edit source]
- Notification emails are sent when a page is saved that has [[Assigned to::*]] and/or [[Carbon copy::*]] and [[Reminder at::*]] and/or [[Target date::*]] properties.
- Assigned to and Carbon copy properties must be of the type Page (default for non-existing properties) and their values must be of the form: User:<username>
- Reminder at and Target date properties must be of the type Date
Cron job[edit | edit source]
- Reminder emails are sent by a cron job. An administrator must schedule this job to run once a day.
- The cron job looks at the
- last modification date
- Reminder at value
- Target date value
- of all pages that have Assigned to or Carbon copy properties. When the current date is equal to one of these three values, it sends a corresponding reminder.
- Emails are sent through the MediaWiki email system, so only users who have set email addresses in their preferences, and have confirmed their email addresses will receive emails.
Version[edit | edit source]
This is a copy of the release notes file in Git, which might be more up to date then this page.
Version 1.4.1[edit | edit source]
- Added support for Semantic MediaWiki 1.7 and later.
- Dropped support for MediaWiki 1.15.x and earlier.
Version 1.4[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bug that caused notifications to fail in non-main namespaces.
Roadmap[edit | edit source]
1.5[edit | edit source]
- Fix reminder emails
- Change email to send property values instead of wiki page contents
- Change email to send property differences instead of a wiki page diff
- Add feature to allow admins to make email templates
Internationalization[edit | edit source]
Semantic Tasks is fully internationalized. Translation of Semantic Tasks messages is done through translatewiki.net. The translation for this extension can be found here. To add language values or change existing ones, you should create an account on translatewiki.net, then request permission from the administrators to translate a certain language or languages on this page (this is a very simple process). Once you have permission for a given language, you can log in and add or edit whatever messages you want to in that language.