||This extension is currently not actively maintained! Meaning any reports for additional features and/or bugfixes will more than likely be ignored. Volunteers are encouraged to take on the task of developing and maintaining it. As a courtesy, you may want to contact the author. You should also remove this template and list yourself as maintaining the extension in the page's
Release status: unmaintained
|Description||Provides email task notifications and reminders|
|Author(s)||Steren Giannini, Ryan Lane|
|Latest version||1.4.1 (December 2011)|
Translate the Semantic Tasks extension if it is available at translatewiki.net
|Check usage and version matrix; code metrics|
The Semantic Tasks extension works in conjunction with another extension, Semantic MediaWiki, to provide email task notifications and reminders.
Semantic Tasks was originally developed for the Creative Commons internal task- and project-tracking system ccTeamspace.
Requirements[edit | edit source]
Semantic Tasks requires:
Description[edit | edit source]
- After a task creation, users assigned to the task and following the task receive a "New Task" mail containing the task text.
- After a task is modified, users assigned to the task and following the task receive a "Task Updated" mail containing a diff of the modification.
- The editor of the task doesn't receive a mail after his edit.
- If the edit is a minor edit, no mail is sent.
Download[edit | edit source]
The extension can be retrieved directly from Git [?]:
- Browse code
- Some extensions have tags for stable releases.
- Browse tags
- Select the tag
- Click "snapshot"
- Each branch is associated with a past MediaWiki release. There is also a "master" branch containing the latest alpha version (might require an alpha version of MediaWiki).
- Browse branches
- Select a branch name
- Click "Continue"
Extract the snapshot and place it in the extensions/SemanticTasks/ directory of your MediaWiki installation.
If you are familiar with git and have shell access to your server, you can also obtain the extension as follows:
cd extensions/ git clone
Installation[edit | edit source]
- Download and extract the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
Finally run a cron job once a day to execute the reminder script. Edit your crontab file:
$ crontab -e
And add the following line to execute the script every day at 12:
0 12 * * * php extensions/SemanticTasks/ST_CheckForReminders.php
- Done! Navigate to "Special:Version" on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
Configuration and Usage[edit | edit source]
Properties[edit | edit source]
- Notification emails are sent when a page is saved that has [[Assigned to::*]] and/or [[Carbon copy::*]] and [[Reminder at::*]] and/or [[Target date::*]] properties.
- Assigned to and Carbon copy properties must be of the type Page (default for non-existing properties) and their values must be of the form: User:<username>
- Reminder at and Target date properties must be of the type Date
Cron job[edit | edit source]
- Reminder emails are sent by a cron job. An administrator must schedule this job to run once a day.
- The cron job looks at the
- last modification date
- Reminder at value
- Target date value
- of all pages that have Assigned to or Carbon copy properties. When the current date is equal to one of these three values, it sends a corresponding reminder.
- Emails are sent through the MediaWiki email system, so only users who have set email addresses in their preferences, and have confirmed their email addresses will receive emails.
Version[edit | edit source]
This is a copy of the release notes file in Git, which might be more up to date then this page.
- Version 1.4.1, 2011-12-06
- Added support for Semantic MediaWiki 1.7 and later.
- Dropped support for MediaWiki 1.15.x and earlier.
- Version 1.4, June 2010
- Fixed bug that caused notifications to fail in non-main namespaces.
Roadmap[edit | edit source]
- Version 1.5
- Fix reminder emails
- Change email to send property values instead of wiki page contents
- Change email to send property differences instead of a wiki page diff
- Add feature to allow admins to make email templates