Extension:Recent Changes Cleanup
Recent Changes Cleanup
Release status: stable
|Implementation||User interface, Special page|
|Description||Allows sysops and specific users to hide any line in the RC page. See description for more detail.|
|Check usage and version matrix|
Useful for small wikis, with this extension a sysop or user (with 100 edits or the related right; right feature is not working currently) can mark any line on the Recent Changes page as coming from a bot (changes the 'bot' bit to 1) and that hides it from the RC page's default view. This is useful in dealing with vandalism or for general cleaning up of the RC page for any other reason. RevisionDelete can help strike out text but it does leave a mess. With this extension, you can keep your RC page as neat as you like. Anyone can still see those RC lines if they click "Show bots".
- Download the files and extract them to /extensions/RecentChangesCleanup
- Add the following two lines in the LocalSettings.php file:
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['recentchangescleanup'] = true;
- Sysops and users will see a special page at the bottom "Other special pages" section called "Recent Changes Cleanup". You can also make links to that special page like for any other special page with [[Special:RecentChangesCleanup]]. A convenient place to have this link show up is on your Mediawiki message page: [[MediaWiki:Recentchangestext]].
- Currently, any user with at least 100 edits is able to access this page (the number 100 can be edited in the file "RecentChangesCleanup_body.php"). This should not be a concern because if an editor has at least 100 edits, they are most likely "safe" and will not abuse the system. In any case this only hides a line in the RC so its not a serious issue. If you have problems with this, you can change the number to a higher number.
- After clicking on that special page, the user will see options to hide/unhide any line in the RC. It shows only the last 250 changes. The default view for RC is 50 so this is more than enough.
- Remember that the line is only hidden in the default RC view. It can still be seen by any user if they click "show bots"
This code has been tested on MediaWiki 1.20. It may work in other versions too but it has not been tested.
- added automatic sysop detection to all them access, and fixed the bug as suggested by FarawayK (using htmlspecialchars).
- added ability to translate (just works for english but anyone can edit the RecentChangesCleanup.i18n.php file to make it work for their language)
- changes 500 required edits to 100, you can change it if you want. Changed display to 250 although for my own version I'll revert it back to 100.
Known issues 
The 'recentchangescleanup' right is not working. This means you're not able to assign this right on the User rights management. So being an admin or a user having 100 edits is the only way to access this feature right now. I don't know how to fix it. If anyone on the talk shows me how to fix it I can update the file the next time I make an update. See the talk page for any fixes by other users. If you just want admins to have that right, make that edit count 10000 or any other large number.