Extension:Random In Category
Random In Category
Release status: stable
|Description||Direct the user to a random page in a specified category|
|Author(s)||Victor Vasiliev (VasilievVVtalk)|
|Latest version||2.0 (2011-01-31)|
|License||GPLv2 or later|
Translate the Random In Category extension if it is available at translatewiki.net
|Check usage and version matrix; code metrics|
The Random In Category extension allows you to direct the user to a random page in a specified category.
§Usage[edit | edit source]
Very similarly to Special:Random, you can specify a category name as a parameter to the page. Thus, "Special:RandomInCategory/Foo" or "Special:RandomPageInCategory/Foo" (MW ≥ MW 1.22) will get you a page from the "Foo" category.
§Comparison to Core[edit | edit source]
|MediaWiki version:||≥ 1.22|
In MediaWiki 1.22, a Special:RandomInCategory feature was added to core. The core version gives much more biased results than this extension (However, it has much less performance overhead). Versions of this extension for MediaWiki 1.22 and greater change the name that this extension provides from "Special:RandomInCategory" to Special:RandomPageInCategory to prevent conflict with the core feature.
§Download[edit | edit source]
The extension can be retrieved directly from Git [?]:
- Browse code
- Some extensions have tags for stable releases.
- Browse tags
- Select the tag
- Click "snapshot"
- Each branch is associated with a past MediaWiki release. There is also a "master" branch containing the latest alpha version (might require an alpha version of MediaWiki).
- Browse branches
- Select a branch name
- Click "Continue"
Extract the snapshot and place it in the extensions/RandomInCategory/ directory of your MediaWiki installation.
If you are familiar with git and have shell access to your server, you can also obtain the extension as follows:
cd extensions/ git clone
§Installation[edit | edit source]
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called RandomInCategory in your extensions/ folder.
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
- Done! Navigate to "Special:Version" on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.