Release status: experimental
|Implementation||User rights, Hook, API, MyWiki|
|License||GPL 2.0 or later|
|Check usage and version matrix|
Development Status 
Please help review these patches,
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/23999 ( Remove protection from mediawiki core )
https://github.com/adamwight/wmf-ext-protection ( Extension must have equivalent functionality )
A discussion around this feature has not begun yet, see Suggestions_to_split_from_core_into_extensions#Article_Content_and_Title_Protection
The work was a bit unwieldy, and the following outstanding issues still must be resolved:
- Actually implement the UpdateRestrictions hook callback. Until then, cascading protection will not happen and maintenance/importImages.php will not protect the uploads it creates.
- Sort out database migrations. Legacy page.page_restrictions migrations and so on have been moved into the extension, since core after the ProtectedTitles patch no longer requires any particular schema. When the extension is installed, however, all the usual migrations should be made. Is there any reason not to drop column page.page_restrictions after migrating the data? Each database backend has its own migrations, those are in a shambles.
- Implement parser function "protectionlevel"
- Expand permissions tests and move into the extension.
- Is protect.js loaded & running?
- Legacy skin protection UI requires more work?
- Separate PageRestrictions and ProtectedTitles functionality into two disjoint classes, and remove logic supporting either from a common protection skeleton.