Release status: stable
|Implementation||Parser function, Tag|
|Description||Allows users to display maps and coordinate data using multiple mapping services.|
|Author(s)||Jeroen De Dauw and others|
|Last version||2.0.1 (2012-12-13)|
|MediaWiki||1.17.* or higher|
|Download||Go to section|
|Check usage and version matrix|
|Bugs: list open list all report|
The latest Maps requires:
Alternatively you can get Maps 1.0.5 which requires:
Quick link: Download Maps 2.0.1 (.zip file)
You can download the extension directly from the MediaWiki source code repository (browse code). You can get:
- One of the extensions tags
Not all extensions have tags. Some extensions have tags for each release, in which case those tags have the same stability as the release. To download a tag
- Go to the tags list
- Click the name of the tag you want to download
- Click "snapshot"
- The latest version of one of the extensions branches
Each extension has a master branch containing the latest code (might be unstable). Extensions can have further branches as well.
- Go to the branches list
- Click the branch name
- Click "snapshot"
- A snapshot made during the release of a MediaWiki version.
This might be unstable and is not guaranteed to work with the associated MediaWiki version.
After you've got the code, save it into the extensions/Maps directory of your wiki.
If you are familiar with git and have shell access to your server, you can obtain the extension, with all its tags and branches, as follows:
cd extensions git clone
Once you have downloaded the code, place the Maps directory within your MediaWiki 'extensions' directory. Then add the following code to your LocalSettings.php file:
# Maps require_once( "$IP/extensions/Maps/Maps.php" );
Documentation and examples 
Since MediaWiki.org does not have Maps installed the usage documentation is placed on semantic-mediawiki.org, where live examples work and use can be made of the automatic documentation features of Maps.
Major refactoring is currently going on at the 3.0.x branch.
Sites that use Maps 
Are you using Maps? Then be sure to add your wiki to the top of this list, and feel free to link your favorite Maps-using articles!
- WikiUrbs - The city, its spaces and people (in Portuguese).
- Almanach Historyczny - Historical Almanac (in Polish language), targeted on helping reenactors to share their knowledge and materials
- Medien Wiki - Wiki of the faculty of Media at the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar, Germany
- Wiki China
- Foreclosurepedia - A user contributed REO/Property Preservation wiki
- Shipwreck Wiki (Map Example)
- Säsongsmat (Example)
- WikiVet - Veterinary Education Online - requires a Login
- CleverTrail.com - Hiking and biking trails in a wiki-style website
- C-base on hackerspaces.org
- Music Prof
- Kenya.or.ke The Kenya we know
- Wikitourist Guides
- Norske stedsnavn
- Economic Geography of Russia and Global Economy
- European Public Sector Award
- Syncleus - Open Source Artificial Intelligence Projects
- Trail WIKI - Collaborative hiking website for trails throughout the United States and Canada
- The Free Wifi Wiki
- Wiki Branchenbuch Lepios
- Mapping documentation wiki (several examples)
- DeurneWiki: all about history of Dutch village Deurne (dutch)
- Природоматематическа гимназия "Акад. Иван Гюзелев"
- World of Arkmeda (customised Map Extension)
- NY Canals
- Hackerspace Gent
- Hackerspace Brussels
- Open Port Guide
- Bougna Citizen Information
- Children are Welcome
- Civic Studio "On the River" project
- Discourse DB
- Food Finds
- Semantic MediaWiki community wiki
- Men of War - Wiki
- Transit Unlimited
- syn2cat Hackerspace
- Web Community Wiki
- ParisWiki Project
- Shopleiter eCommerce WIKI
- StudentWiki - Student backed wiki for the student life in Denmark
- South Wales Mountaineering Club Guidebook Wiki
- Verein Alpine Geckos Wiki
- Local Information for Indians
- Huffman Historic Area
- 029photo - Folklore, Intangible Cultural Heritage in Xi'an city and Shaanxi province,China.
- Maps demos
- Blog of the author about Maps and Semantic Maps
- Maps display_map screencast
- Maps display_point screencast
- Powerpoint presentation about MediaWiki, SMW, Maps and Semantic Maps 0.5.3 used at a presentation in Gent, February 2010.
- Powerpoint presentation about Maps and Semantic Maps 0.4 used at Semantic MediaWiki Camp 2009.
See also 
- Semantic Maps - Adds semantic capabilities on top of Maps
- YandexMaps - Adds support for yandex.com to Maps
- Validator - Needed by Maps
- Semantic Bundle - An extension bundle that includes Maps
- Semantic Result Formats - Various visualization formats for SMW
- MultiMaps Allows users to display maps and coordinate data using multiple mapping services.