Release status: stable
|Implementation||Special page, Hook, API|
|Description||Defines a special page, "AdminLinks", meant to serve as a "control panel" for administrators; and adds a link to this page to their "user links"|
|Author(s)||Yaron Koren <email@example.com>|
|Latest version||0.2 (May 2014)|
|MediaWiki||1.18.* or greater|
|PHP||5.3.* or greater|
|Example||The "Admin links" page for Discourse DB|
Translate the Admin Links extension if it is available at translatewiki.net
|Check usage and version matrix; code metrics|
|Bugs: list open list all report|
Admin Links is an extension to MediaWiki that defines a special page, "Special:AdminLinks", that holds links meant to be helpful for wiki administrators; it is meant to serve as a "control panel" for the functions an administrator would typically perform in a wiki. All users can view this page; however, for those with the 'adminlinks' permission (sysops/administrators, by default), a link to the page also shows up in their "Personal URLs", between "Talk" and "Preferences".
Admin Links provides a hook, and an API, for other extensions to be able to add their own links, and sections, to the page.
You can see an example of this page, with additional links and sections added by other extensions, here.
MediaWiki already provides a "Special:SpecialPages" page, which list the special pages for all the extensions installed on the wiki; which may lead you to wonder what the need is for the additional "AdminLinks" page. However, there are a number of important differences that make "AdminLinks" useful:
- "SpecialPages" holds links to every special page in the wiki, including many (such as Unused categories), that are not specifically helpful to administrators; "AdminLinks" attempts to link only to the administrator-specific ones
- "AdminLinks" can hold links to pages that are not special pages, such as the "Edit sidebar" page, and documentation for various extensions
- Finally, the Admin Links extension puts a link to "AdminLinks" in administrators' personal tools, which makes things more convenient
Code and download[edit | edit source]
You can download the Admin Links code, in .zip format, here.
You can also download the code directly via Git from the MediaWiki source code repository. From a command line, you can call the following:
git clone https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/p/mediawiki/extensions/AdminLinks.git
To view the code online, including version history for each file, go here.
|You can also download this extension as part of Semantic Bundle, which includes Admin Links, as well as some other very interesting extensions.|
Installation[edit | edit source]
After you've obtained an 'AdminLinks' directory (either by extracting a compressed file or downloading via Git), place this directory within the main MediaWiki 'extensions' directory. Then, in the file 'LocalSettings.php' in the main MediaWiki directory, add the following line:
If you want to have the members of groups other than 'sysop' see a link to the AdminLinks page among their navigation links, you can also add lines like the following after it:
$wgGroupPermissions['my-group']['adminlinks'] = true;
Authors[edit | edit source]
Admin Links was written by Yaron Koren, reachable at yaron57 -at- gmail.com.
Version history[edit | edit source]
Admin Links is currently at version 0.2.
The version history is:
- 0.1 (2009-05-13) - Initial version
- 0.1.1 (2009-06-02) - Support for many languages added
- 0.1.2 (2009-09-09) - Support for many more languages added
- 0.1.3 (2010-07-12) - More links added; some section headers renamed
- 0.1.4 (2011-02-22) - Handling improved for MW 1.16+; link to Special:ListFiles added
- 0.1.5 (2011-10-10) - Handling improved for MW 1.17+; link to Special:Log added
- 0.1.6 (2012-01-06) - Support removed for MW < 1.16
- 0.1.7 (2012-11-12) - Handling improved for MW 1.18+; support removed for MW < 1.18
- 0.1.8 (2013-05-01) - Fix for ALItem::newFromPage()
- 0.2 (2014-05-30) - i18n messages moved into JSON files; grouping added for Special:AdminLinks within Special:SpecialPages
The Admin Links API[edit | edit source]
In order for an extension to add links and sections to the AdminLinks page, it must define a new function, and register it with the "AdminLinks" hook. See the AdminLinks hook manual for more info.
Extensions that use Admin Links[edit | edit source]
The following extensions add links to the Admin Links page, if installed:
- Data Transfer
- Replace Text
- Semantic Drilldown
- Semantic Forms
- Semantic Maps
- Semantic MediaWiki
- Semantic Result Formats
- Semantic Access Control
Contributing to the project[edit | edit source]
Bugs and feature requests[edit | edit source]
Send any bug reports and requests to Yaron Koren, at yaron57 -at- gmail.com.
Contributing patches to the project[edit | edit source]
If you found some bug and fixed it, or if you wrote code for a new feature, please create a patch by going to the "AdminLinks" directory, and typing:
git diff > descriptivename.patch
Then send this patch, with a description, to Yaron Koren.