Wikimedia Labs/Tool Labs
Tool Labs is a Wikimedia Labs project. The design for Tool Labs is still in the very early phases; it may change drastically as the project ramp up begins in January 2013. The first target of Tool Labs is to be a replacement for Toolserver; see /Needed toolserver features.
Goals[edit | edit source]
- Provide an environment for rapid prototyping
- Close to production, but simplified
- Easy deployment of MediaWiki
- Provide a ramp for new developers
- Tools and extensions can easily move to Test/Dev Labs
- Provide a location for bot authors to maintain and run their bots (in progress at bots.wmflabs.org)
- Provide a location for analytics work
A key goal of Tool Labs is to provide an easy development environment meant to be used as a ramp to the Test/Dev Labs environment. The goal is to facilitate the rapid development of software that we can then identify as something target-able for production support. Software can be moved from Tool Labs to Test/Dev Labs, formalized, and then deployed to production.
Getting started[edit | edit source]
- 99.999% of the time, you should log into
- You can access the database by simply doing
$ mysql, since your credentials are in .my.cnf
Documentation in progress can be found here.
See also[edit | edit source]