Release status: stable
|Description||Enables the use of hieroglyphs with additional syntaxes|
|Author(s)||Guillaume Blanchard, Max Semenik and others|
Translate the WikiHiero extension if it is available at translatewiki.net
|Check usage and version matrix; code metrics|
|Open tasks · Report a bug|
The WikiHiero extension allows to add Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs from a text written according to the Hieroglyph coding manual syntax.
Syntax[edit | edit source]
Look at the Hieroglyph coding manual for details.
- - separator
- : subdivision
- * juxtaposition
- ! end of line
Each hieroglyph is given a unique code:
- A letter [A-Z + Aa] that represents the hieroglyph category (human, god, bird, etc.)
- A number that represents the rank in this category [1-...]
This unique code is an extension of Gardiner's list of hieroglyph.
The Hieroglyph coding manual also allows using the more common phonemes as well as unique code.
For details, see WikiHiero's syntax.
Installation[edit | edit source]
- Download and extract the tarball in your
extensions/folder. It should generate a new folder called
wikihierodirectly inside your
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
- Done! Navigate to "Special:Version" on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
Then try with some example wiki text like this:
<hiero>A1</hiero> which should produce the following output:
Licence[edit | edit source]
- Sources are copyrighted G. Blanchard and released under GNU Public License.
- Hieroglyph pictures are copyrighted S. Rosmorduc, G. Watson and J. Hirst and released under GNU Free Documentation License.
- See the sources for translator names.
Version history[edit | edit source]
|0.2.1||Fix link to hieroglyph tables|
|0.2.3||Add Swedish interface|
|0.2.4||Add Japanese and Dutch interface|
|0.2.6||* Add source annotation.
|0.2.9||This version is running at http://test.wikipedia.org/
|0.2.11||XHTML 1.0 validation|
|1.0||Major rewrite, now uses HTML5, CSS and written using OOP. Introduces a new special page, Hieroglyphs, for interactive experimentation with markup.|
Todo list[edit | edit source]
- Add number converter
Add space as a separator (like '-')
- Add bracket support
- Fix cartouche rendering (90%)
- Optimize parser (avoid buffer reallocation)
Comment the source
- Add individual glyph scale
- Create CSS only rendering version (30%)
- Add support for shading (need CSS)
Add individual glyph rotation (for image rendering)
- Add support for comment and annotation code
- Create image rendering (for far future)
- Add red font
See also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|