- This extension should not be confused with Extension:InterWiki.
Release status: stable
|Description||Adds a special page to view and manipulate the interwiki table.|
|Author(s)||Stephanie Amanda Stevens, SPQRobin|
|Latest version||2.3 20140327 (2014-03-28)|
|MediaWiki||1.16+ (see Download)|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
Translate the Interwiki extension if it is available at translatewiki.net
|Check usage and version matrix; code metrics|
|Bugs: list open list all report|
This is an extension to add a Special:Interwiki page to MediaWiki, to view and edit the interwiki table, and a log of any actions made with it. It was made by Stephanie Amanda Stevens a.k.a Phroziac, because she was annoyed at forgetting the interwiki prefixes.
Download[edit | edit source]
These are recommended versions to use per MediaWiki version. If the recommended version does not work with a certain MediaWiki version, please let us know. Click the "(snapshot)" link to the right of your MediaWiki version in the table below.
|MediaWiki version||Extension version||Git branch|
|1.21+||bundled with core||master|
|1.17 & 1.18||1.4.1 (2011-06-21)||REL1_17 ()|
|1.16||1.4.0 (2011-06-11)||REL1_16 ()|
|1.6 – 1.15||Upgrade your MediaWiki installation!|
Optionally, The extension can be retrieved directly from Git [?]:
- Browse code
- Some extensions have tags for stable releases.
- Browse tags
- Select the tag
- Click "snapshot"
- Each branch is associated with a past MediaWiki release. There is also a "master" branch containing the latest alpha version (might require an alpha version of MediaWiki).
- Browse branches
- Select a branch name
- Click "Continue"
Extract the snapshot and place it in the extensions/Interwiki/ directory of your MediaWiki installation.
If you are familiar with git and have shell access to your server, you can also obtain the extension as follows:
cd extensions/ git clone
Installation[edit | edit source]
- Download and extract the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
require_once "$IP/extensions/Interwiki/Interwiki.php"; // To grant sysops permissions to edit interwiki data $wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['interwiki'] = true; // To create a new user group that may edit interwiki data // (bureaucrats can add users to this group) #$wgGroupPermissions['developer']['interwiki'] = true; #<---delete the comment indicator as appropriate
- Done! Navigate to "Special:Version" on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
Note: The configuration that comes with MediaWiki will not grant permission to any user group. Thus, you will need to add the configuration yourself or no one will be able to edit interwikis.
To enable transclusion from other sites, you'll need to enable
To disable adding prefixes through the Special:Interwiki interface, set $wgInterwikiViewOnly to true.
interwikimessage item defined per locale in
SpecialInterwiki.i18n.php. For English locales, its value is View and edit interwiki data.
[edit | edit source]
To set up interlanguage links using this extension, make sure that $wgInterwikiMagic is set to true and $wgHideInterlanguageLinks is set to false (they are like this by default, you don't need to change them usually). Then go to Special:Interwiki as a user with the appropriate permissions. For example, if the French version of your wiki was located at http://fr.foowiki.tld/wiki/, you could add http://fr.foowiki.tld/wiki/$1 to the interwiki table with values trans 0 and local 0. Then the interlanguage link to the French version would work, but a #REDIRECT to a French-language page from a page in some other language would be refused.
See Manual:Interwiki table for a full explanation of the forward (iw_local) and transclude (iw_trans) bits.
- Enabling forwarding ('local' true) is normally done between all languages and projects in the same group, as it allows a link to any one of the languages to be used as a gateway to the others. The English-language Wikipedia, for instance, sets the 'local' bit true for all of the other-language Wikipedias and for projects like commons:, wikinews: or wikivoyage:. A user on a wiki outside Wikipedia where the wikipedia: interwiki prefix points to en.wikipedia.org could create a link like wikipedia:fr:Encyclopédie. That link goes initially to "fr:Encyclopédie" on the English-language Wikipedia. The en.wikipedia server immediately recognises fr: as a 'local' interwiki link, so replies with a redirect to la Wikipédia where fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encyclopédie displays the requested French-language Wikipédia page [[Encyclopédie]] et voilà.
- Enabling transclusion is rarely done, as it allows an article on one wiki to use templates from some other wiki. This is referred to as 'scary transclusion' as it will cause problems if the other wiki changes the template unexpectedly. A few wiki farms use this to create one 'central wiki' with various templates which are made available to other wikis in the same farm. If you don't need this, don't enable it.
Protocol-relative URLs[edit | edit source]
MediaWiki supports protocol-relative URLs (PRURLs), beginning with version 1.18. To use PRURLs, simply remove the
http: portion of the URLs in the default link table. Ensure the server supports HTTPS before you do that. For example, this
should be changed to this:
See also[edit | edit source]
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|
|Language:||English • 日本語|