Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Goals/201516Q2/checkin-10-27
- 1 30 (ish) day checkin on Q2 goals
- 2 Reduce number of deploy tools from 3 to 2
- 3 Retire Gerrit and Gitblit in favor of Phabricator
- 4 Reduce CI wait time
- 5 Release MediaWiki 1.26
30 (ish) day checkin on Q2 goals
- WMF Log Errors - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T108749
- Jenkins/Zuul queue wait time - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T108750
- (will collect them all here: https://grafana.wikimedia.org/dashboard/db/releng-kpis )
- A main page currently list all boards tagged "releng" https://grafana.wikimedia.org/dashboard/db/releng-main-page
- do mw core gate-processing time for this quarter, reassess for next quarter if needed
- warning: carbon aggregate metrics per average after roughly a month. So old data most probably do not represent what you want.
Reduce number of deploy tools from 3 to 2
Migrate all Service team owned services and MW deploys to scap3
- technically mediawiki deploys already use scap3 but none of the new features ;)
- I really want to use it for Phabricator deployments but hit a few blockers last time I tried.
- I (Tyler) have concerns about this goal
- * We've done 1 deploy to beta cluster
- ** service team as a whole, unaware
- * One deploy wasn't flawless
- ** Ugly Puppet wrangling
- ** I (Tyler) think it went well, but I knew where the sticking points would be
- ** Configuration concerns were raised (resulting doc sprint this week)
- * "How far from AQS deployments are we?"
How to stay on track
- Focus on Analytics Query Service (based on RESTBase) —definitely first real-world use-case
- Limited permissions for deployers
- Seemingly means they can't use ansible (likely)
- TODO Puppet wrangling required
- TODO Who else to talk to about it?
- TODO How can we test it?
Retire Gerrit and Gitblit in favor of Phabricator
- upstream is adding an "optional, unique repository name" which should solve our issues with callsigns
- Phabricator hosted repositories are now available over https and ssh.
- url redirect (gerrit->phab repo name) stuffness
- stupid naming
Code review RFC: creation, publication, discussion, feedback etc
- Phabricator can now merge differential patches with dry dock.
- talk more in the weekly
Weekly checkin created on thursday. Pending Antoine familly schedule ... Will follow up on internal mailling list.
Reduce CI wait time
All: Please read and comment on https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/qa/2015-October/002414.html
Need a better time for US folks.
CI cluster responds to spike in queued builds by starting and registering additional jenkins slaves
- 10 standing instances, will automatically spike to 20 as needed
- nodepool doesn't send metrics to statsd :( :( :(
Migrate majority of CI jobs to Nodepool
- < 10% right now
- we need the caching implemented before we can do much more otherwise we risk being blocked/rate-limited by upstreams (github etc)
- everyone, please review the caching proposal! :)
Release MediaWiki 1.26
A quality MW 1.26 successfully released
- Board pruned of extraneous material, needs more triage. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mw-1.26-release/
- Chad will send email to wikitech-l asking for help with the blockers today
Be firm in what we are going to accept in 1.26.