Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Deployment pipeline/2019-04-11
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Q4 Tracking tasks
- Thank you Alexandros for creating
TODOs from last time
- Done TODO merge/deploy changeprop patch for zuul https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/integration/config/+/496387/
- Not done TODO various attack vectors document to start
- In progress TODO: support documention like the one tyler did for the portal and pipeline/helmfile and deployment
- https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Deployment_pipeline now exists, https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Continuous_Delivery has been deleted.
- reached out to technical writer, in very preliminary stages for next quarter
- think about other documentation needs beyone Deployment_pipeline main page
- TODO: Joe & James_F to work on eventual 2019-04-01 email
- Beware: announces on 04/01 can be considered an April's fool [and James is out on 1 April itself. <-- this is an april fool's joke for sure]
- postponed until there are docs ~2019-05-xx
- Draft: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/LZKuNSFpM4iKbuHkdPRf
- Shall we send one soon, more a "hey, what do you think?" e-mail?
- a preliminary email for people to be able to comment on work so far and how that jives with their needs
- wikitech-l, engineering-l, firstname.lastname@example.org
- what is the call to action?
- Is there documentation you expect to see?
- Poke around this project?
- Who cares about this email?
To do send email about email
- Additional NPM packages during container image build
- Looks like optional dependencies is where this landed?
- packages included as optionalDependencies
- once services updated to newest servicerunner it should be automatic
- first deployment of this happened today
- Latencies and duration of GCs are wrong until https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T220709 is fixed
- Implementing `.pipeline/config.yaml`
- a single pipeline can operate on two seperate paths working on two seperate repos
- you can publish different docker images for different services
- stages have a flow:
build run publish deploy
- each stage step exports binding with the results of a step, subsequent steps can access ancestor bindings
- Mulitple images with multiple charts with a single repo
- config.yaml: orchestrating steps for CI
- can specify different blubber configs to different services
- refers to blubber variants internally
- blubber.yaml: creates build manifests
- Timelines: start experimenting possibly next week
- experiment with ORES possibly(?) since they need this functionality
- Might use for restbase possibly
- MCS split into MCS / PCS (?)
- Done cxserver training. Deployment done today
- ongoing Upgrades to infrastructure ongoing, kubernetes 1.12.7 next week
- started Started work on kask+wikidata termbox SSR
- ongoing Need to resume work on changeprop
- started A tech talk proposal (late june per organizers' request)
- ChangeProp is ready to go.
- RB split is coming
- MCS/PCS are eager to move to node10. Maybe for Q1?