Wikimedia Release Engineering Team/Checkin archive/20181126

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search


2018-11-26[edit]

Vacations/Important dates[edit]

https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/HR_Corner/Holiday_List
How to do it
  • November 25-december 2nd: Mukunda vacation (in California ahead of the offsite)
  • November 30: Greg off
  • Week of December 3rd - Team offsite
  • Friday's in December: Greg off
  • December 24-28 - Holidays (Christmas)

Rotating positions[edit]

Train[edit]

Maniphest query for deployment blocker tasks: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/?project=PHID-PROJ-fmcvjrkfvvzz3gxavs3a&statuses=open%28%29&group=none&order=newest#R
  • Oct 08 - wmf.25 - Dan (No train due to DC switchover)
  • Oct 15 - wmf.26 - Mukunda (last 1.32 wmf.XX release, 1.33 starts the next week)
  • Oct 22 - wmf.1 - Mukunda (warning, TechConf happening, ping Greg if you need responses from anyone there...)
  • Oct 29 - wmf.2 - Tyler
  • Nov 05 - wmf.3 - Tyler
  • Nov 12 - wmf.4 - Antoine
  • Nov 19 - wmf.5 - No Train (Thanksgiving)
  • Nov 26 - wmf.6 - Antoine <----
  • Dec 03 - wmf.7 - No Train (Offsite)
  • Dec 10 - wmf.8 - Zeljko
  • Dec 17 - wmf.9 - Zeljko
  • Dec 24 - wmf.10 - No Train (Holiday break)
  • Dec 31 - wmf.11 - No Train (Holiday break)
  • Jan 07 - wmf.12 - Dan
  • Jan 14 - wmf.13 - Dan
  • Jan 21 - wmf.14 - Mukunda
  • Jan 28 - wmf.15 - No Train (All Hands)
  • Feb 04 - wmf.16 - Mukunda
  • Feb 11 - wmf.17 - Tyler
  • Feb 18 - wmf.18 - Tyler
  • Feb 25 - wmf.19 - Antoine


SoS[edit]

  • Zeljko for ever :)

Team Business[edit]

December Offsite[edit]

Details:

Activity decision: Both the Aquarium of the Pacific and the USS Iowa on Friday.

All Hands[edit]


OMG Surveys[edit]

  • Engagement survey
    • Please take it! :) You should have an email from "Culture Amp".
    • DO TODAY!


Incoming Triage/Needs attention[edit]

  • deploy1001:/srv/mediawiki out of date?
    • https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T207602
    • Found because the Security team noticed that a previously deployed security patch was no longer deployed, should sync up with them this week about that (Reedy or Brian)
    • See: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T207600
    • 2018-10-22: no idea, thcipriani will look, I guess
    • 2018-10-29: scap updated, needs release this week
    • 2018-11-05:
      • Need to poke Reedy re:T207600
      • scap still needs release - mukunda will take care of it
    • 2018-11-19:
    • 2018-11-26: thcipriani to file a task


  • deployment-prep region migration
    • See email with same subject on releng@lists
    • Question: incrementally or not?
      • looks like "however Andrew wants to do it"
      • REMINDER: send an email update to wikitech-l@/qa@ with the planned timeline/outage
      • 2018-10-29: ACTION: Tyler to reply saying "take it away, andrew, and when are you going to do it?"
      • 2018-11-05: Email response Yes Done -- blocking task from Krenair https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T208101 -- Dan and Mukunda graciously volunteered ;)
    • 2018-11-19: squeeze in the migration this week? Yes. Mukunda to work on that with Andrew and use paring with Tyler to discuss any breakages.
    • 2018-11-26: Project beta-update-databases-eqiad build #30047: STILL FAILING in 1.5 sec: https://integration.wikimedia.org/ci/job/beta-update-databases-eqiad/30047/
      • Error: your composer.lock file is not up to date. Run "composer update --no-dev" to install newer dependencies
      • Tyler to file a task ^ and Dan to look into it more deeply.


  • Migrate the Integration cloud project to eqiad1-r
    • https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T208803
    • 2018-11-12: Need a point person to work with Andrew on this
    • 2018-11-19: Tyler and Andrew migrated a few, no issues so far. integration-publishing migrated. castor02 can be migrated the same ways as other slaves, culprit might happen see task for details.
    • 2018-11-26: Need to migrate `castor` tomorrow morning.
  • Migrate the contintcloud cloud project to eqiad1-r
    • Nodepool stopped on Thursday. Antoine asked for project to be deleted.

Scrum of Scrums[edit]

Greg to copy to etherpad after meeting: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Scrum-of-Scrums

Incoming from last week[edit]

  • Blocking: nothing...


Outgoing this week (wrong section heading is on purpose for copy/pasting into Scrum of Scrums etherpad[edit]

Release Engineering[edit]

  • Blocked by:
  • Blocking:
  • Updates:
    • Train Health:
    • Log Health:
    • Code Health:

Callouts[edit]

  • Release Engineering


Train status and happenings[edit]

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Release_Engineering_Team/Roles#Train_Conductor
  • nothing new here

Quarterly Goals for Q2[edit]

TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Release MediaWiki 1.32
WHO: Mukunda, (Tyler on backup)
  • 2018-11-05: Mukunda to release MediaWiki 1.32 RC.0
    • rc.0 Done
    • rc.1 did not happen before Mukunda's vacation.
    • should get release out week of Dec 10th

TEC1 (Maint): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Determine the procedure and requirements for an automated MediaWiki branch cut.
WHO: Mukunda, Tyler, Antoine
  • 2018-11-26: mukunda + tyler to paired on deploy notes

TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 1 / Output 1.2[edit]

GOAL: Formalize the collection of CI infrastructure and tooling metrics
WHO: Dan, Antoine


TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 2 / Output 2.3[edit]

GOAL: Develop set of metrics to assess incident reports/post mortems - task T206622
WHO: Greg, Zeljko



TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcome 3 / Output 3.1[edit]

GOALS:
Adopt more services into Deployment pipeline - task T205919
Migrate graphoid to the Deployment pipeline
Deploy zotero v2 to the Deployment pipeline
Deploy blubberoid
WHO: Dan, Tyler, Lars
  • Zotero deployed \o/
  • Graphoid blubber file merged, thcipriani to create image

TEC12 (DevProd): Outcome 2 / Output 2.1[edit]

GOAL: The Annual Developer Productivity Survey results are synthesized and shared, creating a first year baseline.
WHO: Mukunda, Greg
  • Greg will try to do some summarization this week


TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 1 / Output 1.1[edit]

GOAL: Update/refresh review queue (review process for initial code deployment)
WHO: JR
  • Continue work on this.

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 2 / Output 2.2[edit]

GOAL: 5 of the 15 prioritized repositories have at least 1 end-to-end test - task T206621
WHO: Zeljko
  • Željko will send e-mails to teams this week


TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 2 / Output 2.3[edit]

GOAL: Assess Platform unit test practices and define improvement plan
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team
  • No activity last week due to reschedule of meeting with CPT.
  • Meeting with CPT team this week.

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 3 / Output 3.2[edit]

GOAL: Core Platform and Search Platform teams are using TDM PoC
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team
  • No activity last week due to reschedule of meeting with CPT.
  • Meeting with CPT team this week.

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 3 / Output 3.4[edit]

GOALs:
Identify key Tech Debt areas
Put in place Tech Debt management process for PEP
WHO: JR, Core Platform Team
  • No activity last week due to reschedule of meeting with CPT.
  • Meeting with CPT team this week.

TEC13 (Code Health): Outcome 4 / Output 4.1[edit]

GOAL: Metrics defined and deployed for all 4 Code Health areas.
WHO: JR, Code Health Metrics Working Group
  • Work continued on setting up reporting integration into gerrit.
  • Started work on broadening SonarQube usage to other languages (first pass was Java projects in Search Platform).


Other non-goal work[edit]

TEC3 (Pipeline): Outcume 2 / Output 2.3[edit]

GOAL: Outline options for managing incident reports creation, follow-ups, and analysis
WHO: Greg, Mukunda, Zeljko
Task: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T208632



Selenium[edit]

Gerrit[edit]

Phabricator[edit]

Jenkins[edit]

QA/Code Health[edit]

  • Code Health Group met this past week. Primary discussion was regarding Code Reviews. Andre and JR to form a WG to look into challenges surrounding Code Reviews.

SCAP[edit]

  • thcipriani: need to talk about canary things


Standup![edit]

Antoine[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • MediaWiki Train
    • Castor migration to new WMCS region
    • Help polish up Docker container/Jenkins job for SonarQube scanner (some magic reporter for code quality)
    • CI overhaul and basic presentation before offsite
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?
    • Heating fixed at house. Gotta fix electricity and draw wood cabinets


Dan[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Checking out beta database update issue
    • Blubber openapi spec
    • Prometheus integration server
  • What I'm blocked on
    • Blubber json config refactor
  • Other?


Greg[edit]


Jean-Rene[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • Code Health Newsletter.
    • Meeting up with CPT team and hopefully making progress on CPT related goals.
    • Meet up with Andre regarding Code Review workgroup.
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Jeena[edit]


Lars[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • get minikube to work again (Debian unstable problems)
    • get Helm to work with minikube
    • try to get Blubberoid deployed via pipeline, with Tyler
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Mukunda[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
  • What I'm blocked on
    • Vacation :)
  • Other?


Tyler[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • pipeline image versioning patch
    • scap canary talk/grokking proposal
    • graphoid image
    • Keyholder patches followup/start on next steps
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?


Zeljko[edit]

  • What I plan to do this week
    • T199133 Find top 15 target projects that could use Selenium tests to prevent incidents
    • T206621 5 of the 15 prioritized repositories have at least 1 end-to-end test
      • sending e-mails to teams this week
    • T207046 Code health metrics spike
      • Trying to figure out how Gerrit bots work
    • T210412 Learn Docker basics
  • What I'm blocked on
  • Other?



Grooming[edit]

Team Kanban Board Review and Triage[edit]


Once / month-ish review of backlog(s)[edit]


Kanban stats[edit]

Burnup chart