Outline for a review of the MediaWiki Core team which took place at WMF on July 15.
See also: notes from the meeting
We presented three projects as priorities leading up to June:
- Auth systems (OAuth, SUL, OpenID)
- Volunteer contributed deployments
- VipsScaler (just a few days of work)
- Score (nearly all done)
- Category collation improvements - code review, scripts
Also, the "as time allows" projects:
- Admin tools - cross-wiki warning messages. Last blocker for global AbuseFilter
Other projects that were on an as time allows basis:
- review queue process - Greg will figure out logistics on this, working to make sure we cover both architectural readiness (e.g. Tim's review) and product scope (e.g. Howie's review).
- Release cycle - Should we aspire to a faster cycle than once every 2 weeks?
- Greg & Sumana to move forward on this to formalize the maintainership of the tarball & related activities.
- Test infrastructure: What role should beta play in the deployment cycle? Do we make people deploy to beta before production, period?
See Site_performance_and_architecture#Deployment_sprint for the details Generally:
- deployment script improvements
- multi-site awareness
Specific actions from 6/28 outage:
- periodic backups of /a/common
- mergeMessageFileList.php fixes/re-arch
- get rid of need of extension-list file? find a more elegant means for collecting a list of message files for caching
Search (Solr/ElasticSearch) deployment
- Reviewing RFCs
- Completing the architecture document
- Writing RFCs
- Making possible Oct-Dec 2013 projects more concrete
- Even if we don't get to it ourselves, providing clear instruction to others (volunteers?) that might take this on
- EditPage refactoring
- Media handler
Time allowing/secondary projects
- HipHop - more benchmarking, porting the LuaSandbox code, testing
- Admin tools sprint - time allowing. A major push should happen the following quarter with the addition of a Platform PM
- Central code repo
- Configuration database
- Gerrit improvements (further BZ integration)