Wikimedia Hackathon 2018/Travel
The main related airport is Barcelona El Prat (BCN). Some low-cost carriers, notably Ryanair, use the airports of Girona (GRO), nearly 100 km to the north, or Reus (REU), around the same distance to the south, instead. Since Ryanair started operating at BCN, you should check carefully where your flight goes. The three letter IATA code should be part of your booking process and at the very least it will be printed onto your luggage tag. We highly recommend you to travel via El Prat.
Barcelona International Airport (BCN)
Barcelona International Airport (BCN) , also known as El Prat, is a major transport hub, with flights from all over Europe and beyond.
It has two terminals: T1 and T2 . There is a free shuttle bus connecting both terminals. Public transportation and taxi services connecting to Barcelona and beyond can be reached from them (see below).
Girona–Costa Brava Airport (GRO)
If your flight lands in Girona-Costa Brava Airport , there is a Bus shuttle connecting with Barcelona. The Barcelona Bus service runs a shuttle bus from Estació del Nord (which is walking distance to the Arc de Triomf metro stop) in Barcelona to Girona Airport, synchronized with various flight times. A one-way ticket costs €16 and a return ticket costs €25. The journey takes approximately one hour and ten minutes. Timetables are available online.
Recommended ways to get to the hotels and campus
By public transportation
From Barcelona airport to Barcelona
- Aerobús service Timetable and further details
- Final stop is at Plaça Catalunya . FGC train station is at the other side of the square (see section below)
- Except at night, very frequent, at most every 30 min. Trip time: ~35 min.
- Fare: 5.90 EUR. Two-way ticket: 10.20 EUR.
Aerobús stop in Plaça Catalunya, Barcelona
Aerobús in Terminal 2, Barcelona Airport
- Rodalies de Catalunya train service (timetable and further details...)
- Departure station: Airport train station (in Terminal T2) . If arriving at terminal T1, you would need to commute first to terminal T2 using free airport shuttle bus service and then walk for 5 min to the train station.
- Arrival station: Barcelona - Passeig de Gràcia railway station (in Barcelona) - 5 min walk to FGC train station (see section below).
- Trip time: less than 30 min.
- Fare: 4.20 EUR.
From Barcelona to the hotels or venue
FGC train service. Timetable and further details...
Lines: S2 (Barcelona Plaça Catalunya - Sabadell) and S6 (Barcelona Plaça Catalunya – UAB. Only operates at certain days and times).
Departure station: Barcelona Plaça Catalunya (very busy multimodal station, mind your belongings)
Entry point to Barcelona Plaça Catalunya Station from the street in Plaça Catalunya. Blue logo sign points FGC trains
FGC train screens. Look for S2 and S6 line trains
Inside Plaça Catalunya FGC train station. Waiting for a S2 train...
The average frequency of trains is every 6 minutes (at peak time) to every 15 minutes (non-peak). It will take 35 min at most arriving your destination stations.
- Hotel Campus UAB. Estació de Bellaterra - 5 min walk (directions).
- Holiday Inn Express Sant Cugat. Estació de Sant Joan - 5 min walk (directions).
In case you wanted to arrive straight at the venues, there is another station: Estació d'Universitat Autònoma . You can also reach UAB Hotel Campus from there, but it is a very steep way there.
Important: keep in mind that there will be frequent shuttle buses connecting the hotels with the venue starting from Friday morning until Sunday midnight (more details...).
Sant Joan train station
From Sant Joan Train Station to Holiday Inn Express. More photos
Bellaterra train station
From Bellaterra train station to UAB Campus hotel. More photos
UAB train station
NOTE ABOUT PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION FARES
Single trip tickets are normally more expensive, especially if departing from the airport. A more convenient alternative if you plan different trips or you want to share it with other people (yes, you can share it) is using T-10 tickets (10 trips ticket).
T10 tickets can be purchased from ticket machines at train or metro stations. Please, ask for help if you cannot find the proper option. They can be used commuting from one public transportation service (e.g. Rodalies de Catalunya train or Barcelona Metro) to another one (e.g., FGC train). IMPORTANT: Aerobús is not integrated in this fare ticket.
If going from to the airport to the venue/hotels, or from the venue/hotels to Barcelona or the airport is 2 zones. Fare: 20,10 EUR (10 trips). Check map on your right for reference about the fare zones.
From Barcelona airport
- Official Taxi route calculator application
- Example: From BCN Airport Terminal T1 to UAB Hotel Campus: 32min (fluid traffic), 65.25 EUR
Other ways to reach UAB Bellaterra campus
- Mobility and transportion at UAB
- Night Bus N62 (PDF) (Barcelona - UAB - Sant Cugat ) Website
- Plan your trip to UAB Bellaterra campus (RECOMMENDED application)
List of countries needing a VISA:
- Arabia Saudí
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verd
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Corea Norte
- Costa de Marfil
- Guinea Bissau
- Guinea Ecuator.
- Papua N. Guinea
- Rep. Centroafricana
- Rep. D. Del Congo
- Rep. Dominicana
- Sto. Tomé Príncipe
- Sierra Leona
- Sri Lanka
- Sudan Del Sur
- ↑ Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores y Cooperación, Lista común de terceros países cuyos nacionales están sometidos a la obligación de visado para cruzar las fronteras exteriores (Reglamento CE n.º 539/2001); updated June, 2017 (PDF; in Spanish)
- ↑ Eur-LEX, Council Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 of 15 March 2001 listing the third countries whose nationals must be in possession of visas when crossing the external borders and those whose nationals are exempt from that requirement (consolidated version as of June 2017)