Wikimedia Discovery/Meetings/Maps retrospective 2016-06-30
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This retrospective was conducted using the "Five finger retrospective" format.
Action Items from last month
- Yuri: create a longer-term roadmap/vision
- Discussions happened; needs to be written up. New action item created below.
- Max: investigate making puppet manifests more self-sufficient
- Mostly done; waiting for Guillaume to wrap it up
- Guillaume: upload (documentation) diagrams to commons
- Not done, will do. Action item added below.
- Guillaume: restart conversations about opening up rights on production boxes
- I'm not actually ready for this conversation yet... It will come, but later
- Kevin: Create phab task to improve Elastic Search GeoData tests
- Kevin: Send email reminder about meeting more frequently but shorter
- DONE (sent 2016-06-07)
- Chris: write a draft of "what we learned" from interactive maps conversations
What happened since the last retro (June 6)
- wv rollouts
Thumb: Thumbs up--something that went well
- Code is improving rapidly!
- Launched ENwv, RUwv, community is experimenting at DEwv, FRwv
- Got GeoShapes semi-production
- Team is collaborating rather than fighting :)
- Yuri handling the conversation on WikiVoyage regarding Maps (50+ replies!)
- Feeling to be working FOR and WITH the community +++
- Announcing on the community traveller's pub was very efficient to get feedback, bugs, feature requests (< hard to track all the bullets and sync the phab tickets, onwiki discussions and actual live deployments all together).
- Front end code got a large refactor, WV implementation code also got (is getting) a large refactor. Cleaning it was exhausting but now puts us in a much better state for adding and maintaining features. ++
- Good rework on the productionizing! (Жульен & Max)
Index finger: The ONE thing you want people to know (about how this team has functioned over the last month)
- GeoShapes is a great new feature!
- What about the presentation at State of the Maps US?
- We probably want to allocate some time to documentation next month/quarter?
- Are these up-to-date? Can't we improve them?
- Document the Kartographer front-end code,
- the different resources available ( https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T134079 )
- how to use the public APIs directly (without the <mapframe>/<maplink> tags)
- the WV implementation code,
- tips on how to contribute
- how to enable on a wikivoyage site
- Document the Kartographer front-end code,
Middle finger: Something that did not go well
- Every little change with ops requires a week-long discussion
- Concerns about balance between autonomy and top-down control
- Would prefer isolated maps servers to avoid concerns about impacting other services
- We are in a confrontational relation with Ops. This needs to change, but I'm not really sure how. I'm sure there is work to do on both side though...
- Checking participants' calendars before scheduling meetings
- (This was in reference to a recent case of double-booking)
- hard to track all the bullets and sync the phab tickets, onwiki discussions and actual live deployments all together (copied from "thumb" above)
- CL could track and manage the wiki conversation, and make sure actions become phab tickets
- Chris did great managing the dialog with community earlier...the work continues, and Julien is feeling pressure to do (some/all) of it
- Would be great to have Chris officially assigned to geohack work
Ring finger: Something about relationships--within the team, between teams, other
- You all might not see it much, but having a team of liaisons I (Chris) can talk to is like having a (small) army behind our work :) ++
- It is sometimes hard to collaborate with other teams (e.g. outside Discovery) simply because everyone is busy with their own thing
- We should be slightly more proactive working with other teams
- Re-reading SoS notes helps. Should doing so be mandatory?
- Do we have any clue of the content (and purpose) of Katherine's keynote at State of the Maps US?
- Not to my knowledge, Yuri will try to talk to Juliet
- Yuri need to prepare his own presentation
Pinky: A little thing that would be easy to overlook
- I really appreciate Alex Stinson's input on how the GLAM folks could use Maps. We should keep examples of uses cases in mind (always).
- Kevin: Invite Guillaume to next maps retro
- Yuri: Publish long-term maps roadmap
- Julien: Make sure work progresses on the State of the Maps presentation
- Julien: Follow up on documentation improvements
- Guillaume: upload (documentation) diagrams to commons (carried over)
- Kevin will schedule a meeting to discuss ops/maps relationship
- Kevin will schedule a meeting with Yuri and Chris to figure out wiki conversation <-> phab tasks
- Kevin: Propose making reading SoS notes "strongly encouraged"
- Yuri might email Discovery asking for examples of maps uses that he could cite in the presentation