Topics from the past
- Hackathon happened (Erika, David, Trey, Chris, Deb)
- Wikimania happened (Erika, David, Trey, Chris, Stas, Deb)
- SDoC offsite happened (Erika, Stas, Deb)
- Spark projects began August 14th
- Tagging Phab boards with Program/Goal tags (Erika and Deb)
- US Solar Eclipse happened
Announcements, Information, Questions
- Deb interviewed at Wikimania about Search for podcast, to be published and made available soon at http://wikistammtisch.org/
- Remote weeks Sept 18-29
- CREDIT showcase being cancelled permanently, but Research Showcase is still happening
- Mikhail’s blog post: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/08/21/discovery-dashboards-puppet/
- Chris’s eclipse video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Ji4MDQu1A&feature=youtu.be
Scrum of Scrums
Are we blocked?
Are we blocking?
Other dependencies (in either direction) which don’t need to be called out as “blocked” (e.g. are progressing smoothly, have no urgency, etc.)
Quick Quarterly Goals/KPI Update (if needed)
Discovery Roadmap FY 2017/18: https://docs.google.com/a/wikimedia.org/presentation/d/1N41eNrz0vFHJamLkhQjSFCOSiDg-bKr5H3ROchqwVJU/edit?usp=sharing
FY 2017-18 Q1 (Jul-Sep) goals: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Discovery#Projects
This status was last updated 2017-08-22. Completed/dropped goals are not shown.
1. Implement advanced methodologies such as “learning to rank” machine learning techniques and signals to improve search result relevance across language Wikipedias.
- Perform load tests and A/B tests on new models to make sure they can be safely deployed to production (IN PROGRESS)
- When ready, deploy newly automated models which match (at a minimum) current performance of manually-configured search result relevance
2. Improve support for multiple languages by researching and deploying new language analyzers as they make sense to individual language wikis.
- Perform research spikes to find new analyzers for different languages (IN PROGRESS)
- Test new analyzers to see if they are improvements (Japanese and Vietnamese) (IN PROGRESS)
- Deploy new / updated analyzers
- Deploy analyzers in progress from last quarter (Hebrew)
WDQS: Wikidata Query Service goal for this quarter will be working on expanding category search in the query service, while also collecting SPARQL statistics; it will be maintained by Stas and Guillaume to support the continued growth and use of the service; the Analysis team will help with statistics.
- Finish up testing of the Explore Similar feature on search results page
- Analyze data and gather community feedback (IN PROGRESS)
- Request internationalization strings
- Deploy feature
Portal: Wikipedia.org Portal team will not have any dedicated goals this quarter other than continuing to maintain the page by fixing critical bugs and performing regular statistics and translations updates.
Maps: The Maps goal for this quarter is to finalize and deploy the new map style, as well as monitoring the service for critical bugs and increasing the frequency of OSM replication.
Analysis: The team will continue to work closely with the Search teams to analyze A/B tests and other assorted data; they will also prototype automated A/B test reports and investigate addition of Continuous Integration to their R codebases.
- Sep 4: US holiday
- Sep 18 - 29 are all remote weeks when the SF office move happens
- Oct 9: US Holiday (Labor Day)
- David (August: wikimania + vacation 2 weeks after the event, back on Aug 29)
- Trey out Aug 21-22 (vacation + eclipse!!)
- Erik at Lucene/Solr Revolution Conference 9/12-9/15
- Erika out 9/25-26 for Wikilead
- Chris out Sept 28-30 for Strange Loop
- Erika out 10/3-10/4 for Agile Open NorCal conference
- Erika out 10/13 for Transformative Technology Conference
- Paul off October 19 - 22 + travel for State of the Map US in Boulder, CO
- Deb off October 20 for State of the Map US in Boulder, CO