Topics from the past
- Staff annual reviews started May 22
Announcements, Information, Questions
- Adam and Jon have been invited to this (weekly checkin) meeting
- [wikitech-l] New Architecture Committee draft charter (and rename to T-Comm):
- Should we continue to have this meeting after the team splits?
- Yes, let’s continue. If it gets awkward we can make changes
- Does wikimania budget roll over to new team structure?
- KH: Generally the budget got split. I no longer have say over who goes to what events.
- Technology department will have various in-person meetings throughout the year, mostly just for managers/leadership
- Namely UI for adding reviewers is not entirely intuitive, so if you haven’t heard from people you expected to, check with them.
- Deb has worked through some of the tricky parts of the UI, so feel free to contact her if you are having trouble
Scrum of Scrums
Are we blocked?
Are we blocking?
Other dependencies (in either direction) which don’t need to be called out as “blocked” (e.g. are progressing smoothly, have no urgency, etc.)
- 2017-05-10: iOS: Enhanced search visibility: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T130159
- 2017-05-17: Please update extensions you maintain to add a compatibility policy! see https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2017-May/088190.html
- 2017-05-17: Preliminary support for Debian Stretch in labs (on a per project basis)
Quick Quarterly Goals/KPI Update (if needed)
Discovery Roadmap FY2016/17: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ctlqdLA__0OxDuO7mJEIDLP-xt9a7E4jv4INMlZAHdQ
This status was last updated 2017-05-30. Completed/dropped goals are not shown.
FY 2016-17 Q4 (Apr-Jun) goals: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/2016-17_Q4_Goals#Discovery
- Improve search by researching and load testing machine learning to automatically re-rank search results In progress
- Research and develop new models to determine which ones work best
- Build out data munging and data pipeline to develop new models
- Deploy automated model which matches current performance of manually-configured search result relevance
- Begin performing load tests on new models to make sure they can be safely deployed to production
- Improve search support for different languages by researching and deploying new language analyzers In progress
- Perform research spikes to find new analyzers for different languages
- Test new analyzers to see if they are improvements
- Deploy new analyzers that are found to be an improvement
- Refine and test new design of search results page with occasional deployments In progress
- Test new functionality with at least 2 A/B tests
- Analyze tests and gather community feedback
- Roll out new functionality with small releases to production across all Wikipedias
- Stabilize maps and graphs code base In progress
- Stabilize and fix high priority bugs
- June 5: Tune-up (🐟) changes go into effect
- June 7: CREDIT showcase
- Signup: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/CREDIT
- June 19: WMF holiday
- July 4: US holiday
- July 18: Next All-Discovery retro
- July 24-August 4: WMF staff encouraged to work remotely
- Guillaume on vacation from July 10 to 21st
- Guillaume off June 8-9
- David off June 5 (public holiday)
- Katie out for fr-tech offsite 6/4 to 6/8
- Erika OOO June 8-9 (vacation)
- Erika OOO June 20-22 (WikiLead)