Wikimedia Discovery/Meetings/Analysis retrospective 2017-04-18
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 Format
- 2 Previous action items
- 3 What has happened since the last retro (2017-03-03)
- 4 What has made you mad?
- 5 What has made you sad?
- 6 What has made you glad?
- 7 What has made you plaid? (aka whatever didn't fit in one of the other categories)
- 8 What is some tiny thing we could try that might be an improvement (in any area--people, tools, processes)
- 9 Discussion
- 10 Action items
- Glad/Sad/Mad: http://retrospectivewiki.org/index.php?title=Glad,_Sad,_Mad
- Note that "mad" and "sad" don't have to mean literally angry or saddened. They can be used in a playful way as well.
Previous action items
What has happened since the last retro (2017-03-03)
(Pasted in from https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discovery/Status_updates )
- updated the portal dashboard to now show sister project clickthroughs (task T152617) and app links (task T154634)
- updated external traffic dashboard to add note about internally referred traffic being mis-categorized (task T154722)
- created a new dashboard to display the usage stats for Wikidata Query Service (WDQS) end point (SPARQL and LDF) usage (task T156300)
- Finished up the analysis of the first A/B test for the sister project search results (task T156300)
- Fixed an issue with the retrieval scripts not using correct data on the portal dashboard (task T162178)
- Removed regex in ZRR breakdown by type on the Search dashboard (task T161876)
- Finishing up second A/B test for the sister project search results
- Product/tech "tune-up" (tuna)
- Added the option to view relative traffic on external traffic dashboard
- Almost done with language-project breakdown of various metrics on Search dashboard
- Added the option to view non-bot traffic on external traffic dashboard
What has made you mad?
- The tuna [MP +1][CX +1]
What has made you sad?
- Possibly getting split [CX +1]
- Having to figure out who goes where (“who gets to live with mom, who gets to live with dad”)
- Unsure if dewiki and itwiki folks are less likely to clickthrough sister project snippets if they’re clearly laid out on the page. Did we provide enough information to them? [MP +1, it’s just such a weird result]
What has made you glad?
- Some people outside Discovery have reached out with sympathies, which is appreciated
- Learned a lot about puppet from Mr G [MP +1]
- Help with the Quarterly Check-in slides!
- People fighting over who gets to keep Mikhail and Chelsy because they’re both awesome [MP :D][CX: :)]
What has made you plaid? (aka whatever didn't fit in one of the other categories)
- Mikhail & Chelsy meeting for brunch [CX YAY!]
What is some tiny thing we could try that might be an improvement (in any area--people, tools, processes)
- We should have ice cream days for our meetings. Ice cream of your own making (or buying)! (It’s the small things, Kevin! :P ) [KH: We did this in fundraising for a while. +1][CX +1][MP +1]
Org Tuna [Note: "Tuna" was an internal nickname for the "tune-up" that was announced in June 2017]
- DT: Curious about any progress on analyst assignments
- DG: Toby is on vacation. We didn’t just have 2 analysts due to volume, but also due to the timeliness of getting reports. Additional project would exacerbate the problem. Toby encouraged me to send an email with my thoughts.
- MP: VC also seemed positive in her response.
- DG: Didn’t specifically say that Chelsy should move to Technology. Hoped to get people to agree to the concepts, not nitpick the details.
- DT: Is the idea that both will help with the goals in the annual plan? Or only if one or both stay in frontend or backend?
- DG: Probably only one(s) that stay in frontend/backend. With an offer of “consultation” from the other. I pointed out that we have “report review” similar to code review.
- KS: Will you (DG) move to editing on May 8, unless something changes?
- DG: Unclear.
- KH: The original thinking of the move to editing was that it would be done in a non-disruptive way. Not clear if they are thinking it would be best to rip the bandage.
- DG: Could split Discovery, or could split and move Dan to editing. Editing doesn’t need me this moment. I mentioned this to Toby. He understood but didn’t say what the plan is.
- ??: Any news on TPG?
- KS: We’re having a big meeting tomorrow, and hope to get some answers.
- DT: Can try to get culture-specific testers
- KS: Ice cream day