Wikimedia Discovery/Meetings/Analysis retrospective 2016-09-30
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Note that "mad" and "sad" don't have to mean literally angry or saddened. They can be used in a playful way as well.
Previous action items
from last retro (2016-09-02)
- Kevin: Schedule next retro for 40-45 minutes
What has happened
(using https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discovery/Status_updates as a starting point)
- add a 'most commonly clicked section per visit' metric on Portal dashboard
- Analysis team had a discussion on how to use better wording for phrases like "users were 1.07 times more likely to do X" and decided on using phrases similar to "we can expect 2-9 more sessions to click on a search result when they have the new feature"
- turned off BM25 A/B test, awaiting analysis (almost done! things keep interrupting)
- Mikhail and Chelsy attended an Analyst on-site two day meeting in the SF office
- Tried finding ways to combine cirrus search logs with engagement data
- Added event logging for the Wikipedia portal to capture the language selected in the search box
- Added updated the mobile dashboard for new features added in event logging
- Added 'other' pageviews to the dashboard accounting for 'keep alive' and other hits to the Wikipedia.org page
- Updated data access guidelines search logs from flourine to hive
- Completed analysis to determine if the new Wikipedia.org portal page display caused any pageview decreases to smaller wikis (UK) (analysis html and pdf docs)
- Updated dashboards to allow for easier bookmarking/copying
- Almost finished WDQS Usage report https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T143762 (One final discussion left with Stas)
- Experimental Dashboard to expand traffic tracking to all countries ( http://discovery-experimental.wmflabs.org/poultry/ ) pretty happy with the pie :)
What has made you mad?
- Issues yesterday with Vagrant, Labs instances (resolved now but boy howdy was I ready to cry at the end of the day yesterday)
- Setting up labs instances, getting vagrant set up, web proxy stuff wasn't working
- Should Mikhail have to do sys admin stuff? Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps Guillaume could be more involved?
What has made you sad?
- BM25 testing and analysis might need to have a round two, based on some of the findings
- A couple health issues of team members
- Seeing some of what people search for, to the point where Mikhail had to reach out to the Trust & Safety team about some very concerning queries
- No interaction between Interactive Team and Analysis Team
- Maps dashboard is languishing and is not being used (?)
- Concerns about maintenance overhead
- Probably should wait to decide until Deb better understands what interactive has
- Should we add analytics/tracking to our dashboards and then have meta-dashboards for seeing how people use our dashboards?
- Like, not even joking. This is a genuine question.
- (Discussion ensued. Outcome was that product owners weren't keen on the idea, but Mikhail was free to file a task.)
What has made you glad?
- Lots of good communication with Chelsy and Mikhail on topics that have come up, based on the analysis that they're doing
- Training for Melody K (and Deb) for event logging+1
- +1 - Dan
- Mikhail had an ergonomics assessment so hopefully that will result in something+1
- Dan also has an ergonomics assessment and it has reduced his lower back pain :-)+1
- "Data Analysis Coworking Days" were awesome+1!!
What has made you rad?
- Having awesome coworkers.
- Cool facial hair
- Pirate clothing and chatter
- Like this retro format+1
- Dan: Figure out if we want to split up Mikhail and Chelsy for meetings and teams
- Include a statement of the perceived problem
- Deb: Figure out what to do with the Maps Dashboard
- Mikhail: Think about involving GL in sys admin stuff