Wikimedia Discovery/Meetings/Analysis retrospective 2016-05-31
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Covering whatever has happened related to the team since the last retro (2016-04-20)
- Ongoing hiring for new analyst
- Some task submissions have really impressed me!
- Tomasz leaving, Katie announced to be the new head of Discovery
- Data mapping
Review action items from before
- Dan: Publicize the data guidelines more widely
- No action. Apparently not that important, so we'll drop it
What went well?
- Query features & ZRR report (with positive feedback from the Search team!)
- Qualtrics survey started and finished and got maps and quick reviews from Mikhail
- Descriptive text analysis completed for Portal team
- Good, constructive discussion about documentation and communicating changes in schemas and data collection more widely
- Mikhail's first proper candidate interview! (yay!)+1
- Worked well with Editing to coordinate which candidate(s) would be a better fit for which department
- Data mapping - Discovery perceived as being very knowledgeable of its datasets
- Mikhail is handling juggling the jobs of two analysts very well!+1
What could have gone better?
- The good, constructive discussion about documentation and communicating changes in data widely ended with a very open-ended "We'll just think about it more and be sure to talk to Mikhail" rather than anything concrete
- Mikhail: Just raising awareness seemed helpful; it should encourage everyone to take small steps to help avoid future problems
- Hiring is going slower than hoped, and is about to probably be even slower with Dan being on vacation
- More coordination between Editing and our JD would have been better, but that's more on recruiting's side. We did pretty well. +1
What else should be noted?
- Mikhail might possibly be needed for some side work outside of Discovery at some point in the near future
- Dan: Circulate a specific plan for handling hiring while Dan is out