New hire/onboarding plan for <<Employee Name>> as <<Role>> in the Wikimedia Cloud Services team.
Technology Onboarding Checklist
Follow this checklist to create all the accounts you will need as a member of the Technology Department, and to read important information about how we work, best practices, policies, etc.
<<Create a checklist using this template, then add the link here.>>
Cloud Services Onboarding Phabricator Task
This is your first Phabricator task and contains a list of onboarding tasks that are specific to the Cloud Services team. You can complete this in parallel with the Technology Onboarding Checklist above.
<<Create a Phabricator task using the template below, then remove the template and add the link here.>>
This template could be moved to a Phabricator Form template, but I don't have the required permissions to create new ones
[ ] IRC [ ] Join core IRC channels (wikimedia-operations, wikimedia-cloud, wikimedia-cloud-admin, wikimedia-cloud-feed) [ ] Set enforce for irc nick (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC/Instructions#Register_your_nickname,_identify,_and_enforce ) [ ] Apply for Wikimedia cloak (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC/Cloaks) [ ] Get invites to non-public IRC channels (wikimedia-cloud-private, mediawiki-security) [ ] Backchannel [ ] Add to WMCS Telegram group [ ] Add to Technical Engagement Telegram group [ ] Add to #technical-engagement Slack channel [ ] Join toolhub-team Slack channel [ ] Technical Engagement team shares (should happen automatically with addition to Technical Engagement Internal mailing list?) [ ] Add to TE shared calendar (@bd808) [ ] Add to TE google team drive (@nskaggs) [ ] Calendar invites [ ] Add to WMCS weekly meeting (@nskaggs) (this should be automagically done by including in the google group) [ ] Add to WMCS Monday Unmeeting (@nskaggs) (this should be automagically done by including in the google group) [ ] Add to Developer Advocacy weekly meeting (@bd808) [ ] Wikitech [ ] Create Wikimedia developer account (ldap) [ ] Add 2factor to wikitech login (which will also be used by toolsadmin and horizon) [ ] Mailing lists [ ] Add to Technical Engagement Internal mailing list (google groups list) (@nskaggs) [ ] Add to Cloud Services Internal mailing list (google groups list) (@nskaggs) [ ] Add to ops mailing list (https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/ops) [ ] Add to ops-private mailing list (https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/ops-private) [ ] Subscribe to [[https://lists.wikimedia.org/postorius/lists/cloud-announce.lists.wikimedia.org/|cloud-announce]] mailing list [ ] Subscribe to [[https://lists.wikimedia.org/postorius/lists/cloud.lists.wikimedia.org/|cloud]] mailing list [ ] Subscribe to [[https://lists.wikimedia.org/postorius/lists/wikitech-l.lists.wikimedia.org/|wikitech-l]] mailing list [ ] Subscribe to [[https://lists.wikimedia.org/postorius/lists/toolhub-dev.lists.wikimedia.org/|toolhub-dev]] mailing list [ ] Phabricator [ ] Register in phabricator (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Help#Creating_your_account) [ ] Associate WMF mediawiki account with phab user account (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/settings/panel/external/) [ ] Add 2factor to Phabricator login [ ] Access to WMF-NDA protected tasks on Phabricator (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/members/974/) [ ] trusted-contributors group https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/members/3104/ [ ] server access and responsibilities agreement https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/L3 [ ] Join WMCS team (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/members/2773/) [ ] (Optional) Watch WMCS parent project / set email notification preferences [ ] Cloud VPS [ ] Make projectadmin in "admin" project [ ] Make projectadmin in "tools" project [ ] Make projectadmin in "toolsbeta" project [ ] Make projectadmin in "paws" project [ ] Toolforge [ ] Request access to Toolforge project https://toolsadmin.wikimedia.org/tools/membership/apply [ ] Make projectadmin for Tools project [ ] sudo for Toolforge [ ] Add as maintainer of "admin" Toolforge tool (`tools.admin` LDAP group) [ ] Add as maintainer of "admin" Toolsbeta tool (`toolsbeta.admin` LDAP group) [ ] Add as maintainer of "admin" PAWS "tool" (`paws.admin` LDAP group) [ ] Gerrit [ ] Request invite to toollabs-trusted and wmcs-trusted groups in Gerrit (create a Phab request then add it as a Subtask of this task) (T314276) [ ] Shell account configuration [ ] Add wikitech-static entries to /etc/hosts (https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/Guide_for_new_engineering_staff#Wikis) [ ] Request production shell access (create a Phab request as described here: https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/SRE/Production_access#Access_Request_Process and add it as a Subtask of this task) (T313504) [ ] Request to be added to wmf and ops ldap groups (create a Phab request from here: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/1564/ and add it as a Subtask of this task) (T314066) [ ] Add prod contact to cgi.cfg (`operations/puppet:modules/icinga/files/cgi.cfg`), then push a patch to `operations/puppet`, have it reviewed, submit, puppet-merge [ ] Add to sms contact group (`operations/puppet:modules/nagios_common/files/contactgroups.cfg`), then push a patch to `operations/puppet`, have it reviewed, submit, puppet-merge [ ] Add prod icinga contact to contacts.cfg in private Puppet repo (this repo is not in Gerrit, see https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Puppet#Private_puppet) [ ] Add to root@ alias in exim (make sure to use your email username, not shell) by editing `modules/privateexim/files/wikimedia.org` in the private Puppet repo (https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Puppet#Private_puppet) [ ] Add to cloud-wide root (put up a patchset to modules/passwords/templates/root-authorized-keys.erb in https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/admin/projects/labs/private) [ ] Add GPG key to pwstore repo (https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/Pwstore) [ ] Create VictorOps account (note: VictorOps is now actually named 'Splunk On Call' but everyone still calls it VictorOps) [ ] Check that you can successfully SSH to this bastion: `ssh primary.bastion.wmcloud.org`
Who to ask for help
- Onboarding Buddy: <<Onboarding Buddy Name>>
- Manager: <<Hiring Manager Name>>
Some high-level objectives to get an idea of what to expect from your first 30/60/90 days...
- Meet everyone online and get setup.
- Start to learn about Cloud VPS, Toolforge, and team
- The first week will be chaotic. Don't worry. :)
- Day 1 (Getting settled in)
- Meet online with Buddy
- Start going through the Onboarding Checklist
- Ask questions about any and all of this. There is a long tailed setup process and lots of accounts.
- Day 2
- Sync up with Buddy
- Continue going through the Onboarding Checklist, mark items as "Done" as you complete them
- Start looking at the Onboarding Phabricator Task — while the checklist above is shared with everyone in the Technology department, the Phabricator task details everything that is specific to the Cloud Services team.
- Day 3
- Day 4
- Sync up with Buddy
- Create a welcome email to send to tech-all and post in slack (Manager will help create)
- Day 5
- You made it through week 1!
- Learn about gerrit, checkout puppet repository, review a team patch
- Followup on onboarding requests and enjoy a "Silent Friday"
- Follow-up on your pending access requests
- Ask for some potential clinic-duty tasks, and learn more about clinic duty process
- Meet with your buddy and setup a cadence
- Attend WMCS weekly status meeting
- Learn about Quarterly Goals
- Experiment with WMCS services -- sign up for and use toolforge, cloud VPS, quarry, PAWS, dumps, wiki replicas
- Add your photo and other details to office wiki
- Update team pages to include you! :-)
- Try working with phabricator tasks, see First tasks for a selection.
- Signup for clinic duty
- Meet Developer Advocacy Team
- Learn more about the community we serve
- Attend first SRE meeting
- Learn more about Tech Department structure
- Continue Buddy check-ins
- Help team finish Quarterly goals!
- Participate in Quarterly Planning
- Be ready for new OKR's
- Participate in your first ITC
- Learn more about wider organizational structure
Here is a list of the first few tasks that might be interesting:
- Add some ideas here...