New hire/onboarding plan for Slavina Stefanova as SRE in the Wikimedia Cloud Services team.
Who to ask for help
- Nicholas Skaggs - Manager - Eastern Standard Time (UTC-6)
- David Caro - 'Buddy' - Central European Standard Time (UTC+1)
Here is a list of the first few tasks that might be interesting:
- Work with Bryan to create developer documentation for Toolhub
- Meet everyone online and get setup.
- Start to learn about Cloud VPS, Toolforge, and team
- Day 1 (Getting settled in)
- Ask questions about any and all of this. There is a long tailed setup process and lots of accounts. We made a Phabricator task to keep track of gaining all the permissions. The first week will be chaotic. Don't worry.
- Join connect, connect, and connect channels
- Login to your wikimedia.org email and make sure it works
- Login to https://office.wikimedia.org/, look around, and make yourself a User page.
- Add yourself to the internal contact list.
- Login to metawiki and make yourself a User page.
- Login to MediaWiki wiki and either make yourself a User page or let Help:Extension:GlobalUserPage show people your user page from metawiki.
- Create a Wikitech/LDAP account
- The "Toolforge users" workflow is probably the easiest to follow.
- Use your @wikimedia.org email address.
- Your shell account name will be the same in Cloud VPS, Toolforge, and WMF production so choose wisely.
- You can use an existing ssh key or make a new one as you like (privileged keys will be made later).
- Login to wikitech with your new account and make a User page for yourself.
- Create a Phabricator account by logging in with your Wikitech/LDAP account.
- Link your Phabricator account to your staff wiki account too (
Settings > External accounts).
- Login to Gerrit and add an ssh key so you can upload patches
- Get an IRC cloak (or at least start to get one) and join #mediawiki_security ("op yourself and add them via /mode #mediawiki_security +I <nick>!*@* ")
- Read the wiki and other docs
- Day 2
- Sync up with Buddy
- Day 3
- Day 4
- Sync up with Buddy
- Create a welcome email to send to tech-all and post in slack (Manager will help create)
- Day 5
- You made it through week 1!
- Learn about gerrit, checkout puppet repository, review a team patch
- Followup on onboarding requests and enjoy a "Silent Friday"
- Add the Technical Engagement team calendar to your calendar app
- Get in all IRC channels
- Cloud root
- Create prod root key changeset for week next SRE meeting
- Add 'cteam' for IRC ping
- Register in gerrit https://gerrit.wikimedia.org
- Review open tasks in Phabricator's #cloud-services
- Follow-up on your pending access requests
- Ask for some potential clinic-duty tasks, and learn more about clinic duty process
- Meet with your buddy and setup a cadence
- Attend WMCS weekly status meeting
- Learn about Quarterly Goals
- Experiment with WMCS services -- sign up for and use toolforge, cloud VPS, quarry, PAWS, dumps, wiki replicas
- Add your photo and other details to office wiki
- Update team pages to include you! :-)
- Try working with phabricator tasks, see list above for a selection.
- Signup for clinic duty
- Meet Developer Advocacy Team
- Learn more about the community we serve
- Attend first SRE meeting
- Learn more about Tech Department structure
- Continue Buddy check-ins
- Help team finish Quarterly goals!
- Participate in Quarterly Planning
- Be ready for new OKR's
- Participate in your first ITC
- Learn more about wider organizational structure