|This page is obsolete. It is kept for historical interest only. It may document extensions or features that are obsolete and/or no longer supported. Do not rely on the information here being up-to-date.|
Feedback Page for Wikipedia Android app
Removed items that have bug reports or have been fixed. See Archive1.
When I open for example the website of Gibraltar
and I click on the map for opening the full map, I can't save the full map of gibraltar because the link to the svg-Image will be open in the browser. Because of this, I can't save the image for reading offline. - Uwe Bota
- This would be part of a mobile version of Commons, or could possibly be carved off by itself first. --Phil Chang, Mobile Product Manager (talk) 19:24, 23 April 2012 (UTC)
Two features I'd love to see which many of the other apps have: - ability to zoom in and resize text. The options within the app currently are extremely limited and the "large font" is much smaller than I would prefer to use. -ability to change the colour scheme to white text on black background.
Both of these would make it much easier for myself and other vision impaired friends to access the app. - Quentin Christensen
Fábio Magnoni email@example.com via lists.wikimedia.org 4:22 AM (5 hours ago) When open Nearby pages, here in São Paulo the points on the map never stops, change place a lot Galaxy S i9000 (2.3.5)
Android 4.0.2, Galaxy Nexus
Mostly looks really good! A few things I noticed:
- 'read in', 'save', 'share page' menu items are selectable on the blank initial page; they do nothing or trigger a spinner variously before erroring out silently (errors visible in 'adb logcat')
- hitting W button loads 'Main_Page' (showing the underscore in title)
- "Article by contributors like you" appears to be an external web link but isn't formatted like a link, so it's hard to tell it's meant to be clicked
- intermittent problems with search suggestions either not showing, or showing underneath article view (hard to reproduce consistently)
- some slight flicker when references animate into view
- zoom buttons, map markers hidden behind map in Nearby view
- Android 'back' button from 'About' page skips over settings, goes straight back to article view
- 'Read page in..." makes slightly less sense as it's no longer a list of languages, but of page titles
- Loading wiki links with hashes on them loads the page including the hash in the title, doesn't jump to section location. (Eg try the links at the top of Portal:Contents/Portals)
V1.2 beta 2
Android 4.0.2, Galaxy Nexus
- The initial page when I load the app is completely blank - is this expected behavior? It feels a little weird to open the Wikipedia app for the first time and see... nothing.
- Tapping the search box appears to create an additional white rectangle for text input sort of above and to the left of where the search box actually is - this does not seem to happen on initial app load (see screenshot)
- The San Francisco article still has massive weirdness in it when toggling sections with pictures (toggle the 'Cityscape' section in particular). I think this is probably the same thing as bugzilla:36673 (see screenshot)
- At one point I couldn't get history to load - I mean, it was displaying no items even though it should have. After closing and reopening the app, I could view the items in my history. Not sure if it was just super slow to load and I got impatient, or what.
- No 'random page' button to cruise around Wikipedia when I'm bored.
- 'Nearby pages' is pretty broken. The map will load, but pinch zoom does not work and I do not see any placemarkers. However, when i start moving the map to the right, I see +/- buttons, but as soon as I lift my finger to press them they disappear. Similarly, when I drag the map around enough before it can load the tiles, I can see little blue placemakers on the grey background, but they disappear as soon as the tile(s) load.
- Clicking 'read page in' from the map has what I think is unexpected behavior - it will load the last article I had looked at in the selected language. This button should probably not be usable from the map view. Same thing with the 'share' and 'save' buttons
- This is a minor nitpick, but the 'contact us' link should probably point to the form on the .m domain rather than the desktop version of the site. The feedback form will force the mobile view for that page, but I can imagine how this could potentially result in weirdness, especially if the user stays on the site and their device is not detected as a mobile device, forcing them to the desktop view.
I've found a few bug in the latest release:
1/ you can't scroll horizontally on article with large tables such as this one: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i5_microprocessors
2/ there is a bug with the refresh of the suggest list, especially when the network coverage is poor, ie you select one of the suggestions, the related article loads in the background but the suggest list does not hide
It would be very nice to add these 2 features:
1/ the ability to auto save all viewed pages
2/ the ability to set a default language for searching articles different than the system language. Indeed, my main source of info is Wikipedia english but i can't reach all articles within the application
3/ the ability to save image from the app
I downloaded this application because someone said in the IRC channel that it would resolve some of the problems that the official release has. But when I open it just gives me a blank page, and when I type an article it loads the article as just a list of sections with no actual article. None of the sections can be expanded to show the text underneath. Is this really the way it was intended? Even if it's just a bug I really think it is a bad idea to load articles this way since most people are going to want to see the text of the article they came for, not an outline view. Soap (talk) 19:09, 25 May 2012 (UTC)
- Was fixed in RC1, Google Play's been a little slow in pushing out newer versions :) 188.8.131.52 19:17, 25 May 2012 (UTC)
(this is a google translated version of feedback User-agent: WikipediaMobile/1.1 Mozilla/5.0 (Linux, U, Android 2.3.6, en-gb, GT-S5830i Build / GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 These were my specifications. I noticed some bugs in this beta version: 1. probably not a bug, but differs from the 1.0 ... Basically when you start the app shows the entries in the window and not the last item displayed. 2. This is definitely a bug: when I click to display a paragraph and skim when loading the page, the space provided in paragraph remains completely white and paragraph will not charge. 3. Sometimes, a few pages shows only the title. 4. While entering the search query, the page or search results are reported to start automatically.
Then some advice ... It would be nice utizzare a browser multitab!
The Wikipedia Android App is literally impossible to use on my Samsung Galaxy S phone. While articles appear to load properly, I can't scroll down to read more than the very beginning of the page without the application forcing the screen to bounce back to the top of the article again.
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Mobile; rv:15.0) Gecko/15.0 Firefox/15.0
Saved pages issues
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux, U, Android 2.3.5, es-mx, U8510 Build/HuaweiU8510) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1
PROBLEM: The application can not view saved pages, nor does the updates. What good save pages if the application can not see them? Do not remove the useful to the application, otherwise I will have to uninstall and lose all my research. Thanks