Google Summer of Code 2010
Thanks for expressing an interest in MediaWiki for Google Summer of Code 2010. Please note (if you haven't already done so) that you must apply and a submit proposal at http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/student/apply/google/gsoc2010 by April 9 at the latest or a slot will not be reserved. Thanks! -- RobLa 19:38, 1 April 2010 (UTC)
On a practical level this is the killer ap for "reasonably efficient cross wiki trasclusion", beacause the interwikis could "just" be dumped to a central wiki, this would save thousands of edits a day, keep them all up to date etc. etc, There would need to be a little work for special cases, buit they are few and far betweeen.
The second significant use might well be for user/user talk pages. Users would be able to transclude their main page on some, all or none of the other projects.
The use for infoboxen and similar is more complex, having data outside in template spaace, with the exception of navboxes is generally frowned on, and constructing a self=translating template would be tricky, and prone to problems.
I wish you success in your project. As you say, "it needs a lot of energy at the beginning to get to know the code"; I found that my first projects were very frustrating and even demoralizing, and I wondered whether I had what it takes to become a successful MediaWiki developer. However, after the first successful project or two, it was a lot easier, and now I have confidence that I can accomplish pretty much anything. The key seems to be to sketch out the big picture and then to break the project up into manageable chunks that can be tested independently. Tisane 00:35, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
Hi! I'm Sumana Harihareswara, and I'm MediaWiki's GSoC administrator this summer.
1) Are you happy with your GSoC experience from last year? (Including the current status of the code you produced in 2010?)
2) Are you eligible to apply again this year? MediaWiki and Semantic MediaWiki are doing separate GSoC projects:
- Hi Sumana!
- 1) Yes, I'm very happy with it! I'd like my code to be deployed and it's a little longer than expected, but I'm ok with this.
- 2) I'm eligible and I would like to apply again for MediaWiki if I could. Unfortunately, I have to do an internship at the same time. This internship will consist in Python programming, so, my mentor for this internship allowed me to participate only if my GSoC project is also Python programming, so that I can progress faster...
- I'll probably apply for some Python projects.
- Best regards. Peter17 21:26, 16 March 2011 (UTC)
A barnstar for you!
|The Brilliant Idea Barnstar|
|Thanks! This helps with having a userpage be the same across all wikis. PoolloverNathan (talk) 18:29, 24 February 2021 (UTC)|