User talk:Okeyes (WMF)
- Totally; it was for some user tests. Feel free to remove it :). Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 08:56, 19 June 2013 (UTC)
- Done it. Thanks for a quick reply. –BruTe 20:37, 19 June 2013 (UTC)
in five years
I think it's great that you're thinking 5 years out, rather than (as I too often do) looking only at short-sighted short-term goals.
One sentence brings up more questions in my mind than it answers:
- "if we don't, that graph is going to look a lot worse in five years."
How could you possibly know that? Do you have some knowledge of future events that is going to require us to completely re-think Wikipedia: WP:CRYSTALBALL ?
- Not really; it's the way the trend is going, however. So, ultimately the problem with wikimarkup is not actually a problem with wikimarkup. The complexity of wikimarkup has remained constant (although the complexity of wikipedia articles has definitely risen). The problem is that user expectations from sites have changed - Facebook and other drainers on peoples' time have provided a far more friendly interface than has historically been present on the internet, one that shifts the complexity to the software rather than the end-user. The result is that wikimarkup is completely opposite to what users expect. This is something that's continuing to happen to a greater and greater degree, and I can't see any reason why the trend would reverse. Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 20:26, 3 July 2013 (UTC)
- I do not! I would advise asking User:guillom, who is both the author of most of our documentation and French, to boot :). Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 05:36, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
- Automatik: I suspect this is because the text in the right-side column is longer in French, and therefore squeezes the left-side column. I've increased the maximum width of the document to mitigate this issue. guillom 07:46, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
Possible bug in VE
You were one of the people who contacted us regarding the tests of VE, so you get this report from me.
I did a test of VE in the following scenario on my user page here, on Mediawiki, where you can see the result.
I use a highly inflected language (Polish), where inflection is often achieved by adding a suffix to the base word. Therefore we often use the possibility to create a link like this: [[edytor]]em, where suffix is directly attached to the link. I tried to use the same mechanism with VE, highlighting only the base word without the suffix and inserting link by Ctrl-K, in order to save on the editing in the link window. Then, surprisingly enough, VE produced invalid wikicode, inserting a lone closing nowiki tag between the base word and the suffix.