Use of Select2 Libary for Enhancing the Auto-Complete Feature of Semantic Forms Extension
- Public URL
- Bugzilla report
- (link to the announcement of your proposal at the wikitech-l mailing list.
Name and contact information
- Pubudu Fernando
- IRC or IM networks/handle(s)
- pubudu91 on freenode
- Web Page / Blog / Microblog / Portfolio
- Pubudu Fernando
- Panadura, Sri Lanka
- Typical working hours
- 10pm to 2 am (on week days) and 12:30pm to 3pm and 6pm to 3am (on weekends)
Wikimedia projects would definitely benefit greatly by switching to Select2 since they deal with very large amounts of data of various formats, from text, images to audio and video data. I feel particularly strongly about the combination of the ability to add images associated with each term, the ability to display values in a tree like structure and better support for auto-completion on remote data since this could drastically change the way auto-complete is implemented in Wikimedia projects and make the feature much more structured, informative and user friendly.
Listed below are the deliverables for this project.
- "Tokenization" of values: adding the ability to automatically put squares around each term when entering multiple values to a text field. The values can either be a combination of both a pre defined list and user input.
- Auto-completion for characters with accents
- Display of an image associated with each term. This will especially be useful when the users are searching for people, movies, collections of pictures or videos etc.
- Displaying values in a tree-type structure. This will enable us to structure the values listed in the auto-complete list in a logical manner.
- Using Select2 to provide better support for efficiently processing large amounts of data sets.
||April 21 to May 19|
||May 20 to June 3|
||June 4 to June 18|
||June 18 to July 2|
||July 5 to July 19|
||July 19 to August 2|
||August 2 to August 11|
||August 11 to August 18|
- Education completed or in progress
- How did you hear about this program?
- Will you have any other time commitments, such as school work, another job, planned vacation, etc., during the duration of the program?
- We advise all candidates eligible to Google Summer of Code and FOSS Outreach Program for Women to apply for both programs. Are you planning to apply to both programs and, if so, with what organization(s)?
- Please describe your experience with any other FOSS projects as a user and as a contributor
- Please describe any relevant projects that you have worked on previously and what knowledge you gained from working on them (include links)
- What project(s) are you interested in (these can be in the same or different organizations)?