User:Jiabao wu/GSoC 2013 Project Work
VisualEditor Mathematical Equations Plugin
Working with Mentors
based on the suggestion emails from mentors
Code: submit code directly to the VisualEditor project in Gerrit
Bugs: leave comments on the project bug report
Updates: progress report every 1-2 weeks, depending on how much work have to write about.
Regular communications: IRC, Email, Google Hangout. More information has been discussed in the email.
- Finished the Community Bonding Period Checklist
- Had the first meeting with VisualEditor team and joined their IRC channel
- Read through the code examples and documentation introduced on the meeting
- Started coding! xD
- Got a lot of help and constant code reviews from Roan
- Sought for help on the VisualEditor IRC channel
- Worked on Math node handler, and a basic version of it is about ready to merge
- Exploring and made a hack version of Math Node UI, which is going to be fixed to normal version soon
- Math node handler merged
- Math Node UI worked and merged
- Tested and found some bugs in Math Node UI (recorded on project Bug Tracking page)
- Math Node UI (Bug Fix) worked and merged
- Proposal Step 1 Completed =D
- Figured out how MathJax can work for VisualEditor
- By discussion with mentors (mostly with Peter) and community
- By reading the documentation
- Enabled MathJax in Math Node and allowed MathJax Live Preview
- Identified some bugs in MathJax Live Preview and recorded on project Bug Tracking page
- Reviewed and learned about patch Math Clean-up (by Esanders)
- Math extension got a lot of community attentions. I read through the emails, chat flows, etc. to learn how people think about it.
- Discussion about Math for VE on my user talk. (with Spectral sequence and Salix alba)
- Create Math Node UI page and get further feedbacks from the discussion page.
- Further research on how MathJax can work with the GenerateContentNode.
- Discussions with mentors and communities.
- Worked on MathJax Live Preview II which about to support MathJax Live Preview totally.
- Got MathJax Live Preview II supported MathJax Live Preview.
- Fixed MathJax Live Preview II rebase problems.
- Created a new patch Implement live preview in MWMathInspector (original called MathJax Live Preview III) which solved the master conflicts. It also includes:
- 250ms after the user stops typing, rerender the node with what they've typed so far.
- Update ve.ce.MWMathNode to no longer emit 'rerender' when <img>s load (handled in the parent class now)
- When using MathJax, tell it which node to rerender
- Allows users to add LaTeX node
1 July - 7 July
- Updated the code according to several code reviews
- Studied about DOM and Ajax online
- Got the Math Node UI to work properly
- Code has been merged (by Mentor Roan) xD
- Planned for next week:
- Fix the bugs just found from testing
- Start discussion and work for Math UI and rendering
8 July - 14 July
- Created a page for discussion about Math Node User Interface
- Created a page for Bug Tracking
- Found three bugs from testing and fixed two of them
- Read documents about MathJax
- Investigated problems with using MathJax
- Enabled MathJax in the Math Node
15 July - 21 July
- More dicussion about MathJax implementation (with Mentor Peter)
- Updated code of the bug fixing according to the code review
22 July - 31 July
- Reviewed and learned about patch Math Clean-up
- Further investigated and discussed about MathJax live rendering
- Working on patch MathJax Live Preview
- Identified the bugs encounted