User:Dan-nl/Developing extensions for Wikimedia wikis
|This page is currently a draft.|
More information and discussion about changes to this draft may be on the discussion page.
Below is a rough outline of the steps needed in order to deploy an extension onto a Wikimedia wiki.
- 1 Show community support
- 2 Request a component in Bugzilla
- 3 Create a tracking bug
- 4 Create Extension: page
- 5 Create Help:Extension: page
- 6 Get code in Gerrit
- 7 Gerrit review(s)
- 8 Design/Implementation documentation
- 9 Design review
- 10 Performance and Architecture review
- 11 Security review
- 12 Deploy to beta cluster
- 13 Deploy to production
- 14 References
Show community support
- Show community support/desire for the extension to be deployed, if applicable
Community Support can be shown by having an active discussion on the need of the extension on a Wikiproject and document the responses. If there is no active community support, support can be build through discussions and proposals.
Request a component in Bugzilla
Create a tracking bug
Once the new component in Bugzilla has been created, create a tracking bug for the deploy.
Create Extension: page
- Create an Extension:<Your extension> page on mediawiki.org
Create Help:Extension: page
- Create a Help:Extension:<Your extension> on mediawiki.org for the end user documentation
Get code in Gerrit
- Request (and respond to) code review(s) in Gerrit, resulting in an Minimum Viable Product (MVP)
- Depending on the complexity of the code this may go through several cycles of development before an MVP is ready.
- use sequence diagrams and prose to describe the design and implementation of the extension; e.g., MetadataDetectHandler
- https://www.websequencediagrams.com/ can be helpful here
- Request a design review, if applicable
Performance and Architecture review
- Request (and respond to) a performance/arch review
- Request (and respond to) a security review