Topic on 2017 wikitext editor/Feedback

Jump to navigation Jump to search
Summary by Elitre (WMF)

should be gone.

Thomas98 (talkcontribs)

Op de Nederlandstalige Wikipedia ben ik op het probleem gestoten dat infoboxen niet (volledig) worden weergegeven. In brontekstweergave blijkt alles correct ingevuld, maar in leesweergave is daar niets van te merken. Pas na handmatig alle gegevens opnieuw via de oude brontekstmodus in te voeren is de infobox zichtbaar. Een tweede iets, dat niet onmiddellijk een probleem is maar wel vervelend is: de knop 'handtekening' zit verborgen onder 'invoegen'. Het zou beter zijn mocht je in één klik je handtekening kunnen zetten.

ESanders (WMF) (talkcontribs)

Can you link to an example?

Thomas98 (talkcontribs)

This is an example where I had troubles to place the infobox. With this edit all fields of the infobox were filled in correctly but the infobox was not visible. After I asked help on the helpdesk another user made this edit, but he could'nt explane how he dit it. On the helpdesk some other users had the same troubles.

Elitre (WMF) (talkcontribs)

So extra spaces may be the problem then? I got the same result in my sandbox (and I needed to switch off the beta feature and try with the old editor to recreate).

Thomas98 (talkcontribs)

Exactly, that's the problem.

Elitre (WMF) (talkcontribs)

Subbu will look into this when he can.

SSastry (WMF) (talkcontribs)

I fetched the wikitext for the two revisions and looked at in vi and then looked at the octal dump. It looks like the unicode char U+00a0 (non-breaking space) are present in the infobox args which is tripping up the regexps in the PHP preprocessor since the string "argname\ua0" is no longer argname but an unrecognized arg. So, effectively, the infobox is treated as an empty infobox. I don't know what is the source of these non-breaking whitespace chars ... if it is the new wikitext editor, something in the editor (the human)'s browser .. some cut-paste, etc. That is not something I can tell.

This is confusing precisely because the non-breaking spcae renders as space in the browser and so it is hard to tell looking at it visually that something is broken.

Thomas98 (talkcontribs)

So, there is no solution at the moment for the problem?

Whatamidoing (WMF) (talkcontribs)
Whatamidoing (WMF) (talkcontribs)

I think I have figured this out. @LIVE NIEUWS, did you copy the template from somewhere? When you paste multiple blank spaces, like the ones used to make the equals signs line up:

| parameter1     =
| para2          =

then it converts those spaces into non-breaking spaces. (This is because multiple spaces usually get treated as one space in HTML.)

As a temporary workaround, try using the Insert > Template tool instead.

I thought that there was already a bug report about this, but I can't find it. I've started phab:T156498 instead.

Thomas98 (talkcontribs)

Thank you for anwering :) ! Yes, I copied the template from the template page (wich I usually do).

SSastry (WMF) (talkcontribs)

Sorry @Whatamidoing (WMF) .. I was in the process of travelling to India and lost track of this. But, looks like you guys figured out what is going on here.