Topic on Talk:Requests for comment/Localisation format

Jump to navigation Jump to search

Next steps from RFC review meeting

7
Sharihareswara (WMF) (talkcontribs)

At the RFC review meeting in December 2013, we agreed:

  • ACTION: RoanKattouw to remove groups
  • ACTION: RoanKattouw to look at the number of stat() calls and consider optimisations

I'll ping Roan to check on this.

Sharihareswara (WMF) (talkcontribs)

from #mediawiki just now:

<sumanah> RoanKattouw: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Thread:Talk:Requests_for_comment/Localisation_format/Next_steps_from_RFC_review_meeting --  "ACTION: RoanKattouw to remove groups" and "ACTION: RoanKattouw to look at the number of stat() calls and consider optimisations" -- https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Requests_for_comment/Localisation_format&action=history doesn't have you editing the doc since that date :)
<RoanKattouw> sumanah: Whoops sorry
<RoanKattouw> sumanah: I did remove groups in the implementation
<sumanah> RoanKattouw: cool!
<RoanKattouw> The implementation ws in fact merged into core a while ago
<sumanah> oho!
<RoanKattouw> I did not research stat calls :(
<sumanah> RoanKattouw: is https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Localisation_format#Implementation accurate (in showing what is done and not done)?
<RoanKattouw> sumanah: Yeah that looks accurate
<sumanah> RoanKattouw: okay. What would you call the status of the RFC? because "doc status: draft/implementation: underway" does not sound right.
<RoanKattouw> sumanah: The tragedy of this RfC is basically that both of the primary devs on it went back to school and chose it as a target for responsibility-shedding
<sumanah> :(
<RoanKattouw> (Niklas and myself)
<RoanKattouw> I'd say it's partially implemented
<RoanKattouw> The infrastructure it calls for is almost fully implemented
<RoanKattouw> It's just not used nearly everywhere yet
<RoanKattouw> And there's some tangential work not mentioned there that has yet to be done, although I think that bit is on Niklas's plate
<RoanKattouw> "that bit" being support in LocalisationUpdate for JSON i18n so that extensions that have been converted to JSON get the same daily message updates in production as the PHP ones
<sumanah> RoanKattouw: ok. mind if I just copy and paste your braindump here into the talkpage?
<RoanKattouw> That's the main thing that's blocking mass conversion AIUI
<RoanKattouw> Go for it
<sumanah> RoanKattouw: moving from "draft" to "end run around acceptance" I guess
<RoanKattouw> Sounds reasonable
<RoanKattouw> I think the acceptance is mostly there, socially, there's just a missing feature that needs to be implemented before we can really go bonkers on it
Nemo bis (talkcontribs)

The LU patches in question were submitted last week, I linked them from the page per above.

Nikerabbit (talkcontribs)

Thanks. The rewrite is not complete yet, there will be more patches this week.

Siebrand (talkcontribs)

All patches for the LU rewrite are now in Gerrit. I've submitted a conversion of the installer files for core. Am working on converting $messages of MessagesXx.php core files.

Jdforrester (WMF) (talkcontribs)

Excellent, thank you!

Did we reach a decision regarding non-$messages entries?

Reply to "Next steps from RFC review meeting"