I promise this is the last thread I open with a list of GSOC 2013 candidates. I will keep it updated, notifying about the projects that make it to Summer_of_Code_2013#Project_ideas and the ones that get discarded.
- Improve the mediawiki-bugzilla extension to a deployable level: needs Bug Squad buy-in and at least one mentor. Discussing with Mozilla.
- Multilingual, usable and effective captchas: project scope needs clarification. Too much / too vague for a GSOC project?
- Mentorship_programs/Possible_projects#MediaWiki LocalisationUpdate for all: does it have MediaWiki core maintainers buy-in?
- Mentorship_programs/Possible_projects#Multilingual SemanticMediaWiki: does it have SMW maintainers buy-in?
- Improve Extension:CSS.
- Wikidata Entity Suggester.
- Prototyping inline comments.
- Add support for x3d 3D files to MediaWiki as part of New media types supported in Commons
- Tools for migration to structured page translation.
- Create plugins for jQuery.IME for Firefox and Chrome.
Extension pages management: nice idea but with unknown origin/promoter, requires significant planning and buy-in from mediawiki.org.
System documentation integrated in source code: too complex for GSOC - see bug 46526.
Work on outstanding Parsoid bugs and/or add features: the Parsoid team has big release in July and they are very busy. Not the best time for a student to land.
Work on RefToolbar: we want to promote work on VisualEditor instead. The first release this Summer has basic cite support, and more can be added later on.
Phase out the Vector extension; merge the good parts into core: not considered a good GSOC task in the current status of the project. (discuss)
Browser Test Automation: considered not a good fit for GSOC.
Improve accessibility of MediaWiki and MediaWiki extensions: not suggested anymore.
Gadgets: no project.
Write useful Lua modules: no project.
Build an interwiki notifications framework and implement it for InstantCommons: nobody answered.