Toolserver:New-style Subversion repositories
This page was moved from the Toolserver wiki.
Toolserver has been replaced by Toolforge. As such, the instructions here may no longer work, but may still be of historical interest.
Please help by updating examples, links, template links, etc. If a page is still relevant, move it to a normal title and leave a redirect.
- Note: This page only applies to user accounts created before 2008-07-17, and explains a change to Subversion repositories that occurred then. If your account was created more recently, this does not apply to you.
How it used to work:
- SVN repositories for each user were in
svnserveran to provide read-only access via
- Write access had to go via
file://, which accesses files directly
Why this sucked:
- URLs for read-only and commit access were different
- Allowing several users to commit to a repository required a new Unix group to be created
- All files in the repository are readable by everyone
How it works now:
- SVN repositories for each user are stored on amaranth
- Direct access to the repository is not possible
- Apache with mod_dav_svn provides read and write access to the repository via
Why this is better:
- URLs for read-only and commit access are the same
- Allowing several users to access a repository, or restricting read access, can be done by editing a single file
How to convert your repository
setpass on nightshade. This will set your LDAP password, which is used for Subversion. (Note: you cannot use this password to log in. See LDAP for more info.)
Then ask a root to create your new repository. If you want files from your old repository copied, make sure you say so, otherwise the new repository will be empty and you'll have to import by hand.
Your new repository is available at
https://svn.toolserver.org/svnroot/username. To commit, use your toolserver username and the password you set earlier.
Project repositories are available at
If your SVN client asks you to accept the SSL certificate, you can check it against the certificate fingerprint listed at https://fingerprints.toolserver.org.
- Admins Admin:Subversion