I installed mediawiki on one of my domains, to 'practice' the wikimarkup language and possibly use it for my 'linux howto's' sub-domain linux.landisreed. I didn't get to it right away and was unaware, due to the lack of detailed install and configure docs that are, like mozilla not up to date.
Anyways, i noticed huge CPU usage and looked at phpMyAdmin, my db, search Users, using 10,000 records per page starting at zero and apparently have around 80,0000 user accounts as there are 8 pages (10,000 records per page, nope: 71,718 actually, minus me and my admin user from setup)...
this is a lot to deal with. In Mediawiki > Special Pages > User List it seems that most 'people' have entered some sort of text (Spam they are advertising) so 'empty entries' script doesn't seem to be the answer...
I think I'm going to attack this from the Backup db > Delete Users other than my Admin and my 'personal' accounts and see what that does form me.. I'll let you know what happens.
- note... funny, before looking at phpmyadmin, i started blocking users, one article at a time, but.... after 10 (Not knowing just how many there were), i thought I'd look into a 'better' or at least quicker way... doesn't appear to be one... I'd of thought, with how long mediawiki has been around and how many sites us it, there'd be a way... 'freeware', eh..
Well, i used git in ssh to clone and 'install' on my server.
added functions to LocalSettings.php, logged in a 'SysOp' (original user from setup), navigated to http://linux.landisreed.com/wiki/Special:UserMerge and got the following error: [4d78a706] 2014-01-30 10:25:16: Fatal exception of type MWException
Thought that 'install' went too smoothly.. lol : (
NEXT... i'm looking at other options, instead of wasting time figuring this error out.