Topic on Extension talk:Lingo

Jump to navigation Jump to search
Caile13 (talkcontribs)

I am using mediawiki 1.16.5 php 5.3.2(apache) and mysql 5.0.41-log

I was previously using terminology and while it "worked" pages that had html tags or used the input box or forms extension would not show up. I liked how Lingo allowed for limiting to namespace.

I tried installed as is 'out of the box' before putting in the namespace limitations.. and all of my pages show up completely blank as soon as the extension is enabled. No error message..but no page either. when i disable the extension in local settings, it all comes back. I'm not sure where to start debugging because with no error message i don't know what about the extension it's not happy with. I am going to try disabling all of my other extensions and seeing if that helps but figured i'd post here while working my way thru that in case anyone had any thoughts.


F.trott (talkcontribs)

Hi Kay,

sorry about the trouble. You are right, a blank screen is not easy to debug. To display errors include the following statements in your LocalSettings.php somewhere at the top:

error_reporting(E_ALL | E_STRICT);
ini_set("display_errors", 1);
Caile13 (talkcontribs)

ok i added the code segment you showed above.. saved off my localsettings.php.. uploaded it back to the server.. reloaded the page.. and nothing. i still don't get any error messages.. i simply get a http 500 error. as soon as i turn lingo back off and re upload localsettings.php my pages come back. I've checked a variety of the pages just to make sure it wasn't something that happened to be on one page.. perhaps use of an extension that conflicts.. and none of the pages in my wiki will show up, all http 500 errors.. if i hadn't be able to use terminology i'd be less confused.. but since the one worked and this is a reworking of that.. i didn't think the site would balk this much.

F.trott (talkcontribs)

Hmm, not good. Do you have access to the server logs?

Caile13 (talkcontribs)

i don't think so. i have to upload all of my changes to a dev server that is separate from the actual real server and then use a java script to transfer them over but i'll ask .. do you know which specific files would be useful? someone else is going to have to get them to me and i want to be able to give as explicit instructions as possible to point them to what i need or they will either get something that won't help OR decide that what i am asking is too much work and they don't want to be bothered.

F.trott (talkcontribs)

Difficult. This depends very much on how the server is set up. The name and location of the log file can be found in the server config file in the ErrorLog directive. On Unixes it is often named error_log and to be found in the /var/log/apache/ directory. If in doubt, if that directory exists ask for all the files in there.

Another thing that I can think of is, that for some reason you might be missing the dom module. If you want to check this first, create a php file with the following content:


Upload this file to your server and access it via your browser. It should give you loads of information. One of the sections should be titled "dom" and basically say that all its services are enabled (DOM/XML, HTML Support, XPath Support,...). After doing this remember to delete the file again! Making all the information public could pose a security risk.

Caile13 (talkcontribs)

Hmm. ok. i made the file and uploaded it and went to look at it.. i see nothing about DOM... i have one header that says Quercus and one that says PHP variables.

i think i can copy/paste what is under quercus.. cause i am a little confused by one part:

>>PHP Version => 5.3.2
>>System => SunOS 5.9 sparcv9
>>Build Date => 20100511
>>Configure Command => n/a
>>Server API => CGI
>>Virtual Directory Support => disabled
>>Configuration File (php.ini) Path => null
>>PHP API => 20031224
>>PHP Extension => 20041030
>>Debug Build => no
>>Thread Safety => enabled
>>Registered PHP Streams => php, file, http, https

Should Configuration File (php.ini) Path => be null?

the other section is too big to dump to here and might contain information i shouldn't dump to here (not sure, it's rather large)

but i did a search and there is no reference to 'dom'

F.trott (talkcontribs)

Ok, I guess this is the problem then. Lingo depends on the DOM module. It is part of the standard PHP packages these days, so your admins should be able to enable it.

Just googled Quercus. It might not be so easy to just turn on the DOM module after all. Apparently Quercus is a relatively new PHP implementation in JAVA and may not yet have the module.

Caile13 (talkcontribs)

Yes. after much poking and prodding and being very irritated at the non answers i was getting.. i finally got people to tell me that.. they couldn't figure out how to get php to install on the server.. so they went with some sort of emulated version. and they KNOW (have known) that there are large pieces missing.. but, even tho they knew i was having issues getting stuff working, they didn't think it important to tell me this.. until i finally tripped on the information myself thanks to you. so it may all be a moot point. apparently no one can figure out how to get php installed and the emulated version doesn't have all the pieces i need.

Caile13 (talkcontribs)

Ok. so i took my install of mediawiki at home and upgraded to 1.16.5 to match the install i was testing at work.. installed all of the same extensions we had there...including Lingo.. and it works just fine. No errors at all. So now i need to try to convince them to move the wiki someplace where we don't have to deal with emulators and stuff. thanks so much for the quick assistance.

Reply to "Can't get it to work at all"