Talk:Technical Advice IRC Meeting

Jump to navigation Jump to search

About this board

Technical Advice IRC Meeting - the weekly support meeting for volunteer developers on #wikimedia-tech.

Kitoko investigador (talkcontribs)

hi we need know exactly what is the topic of irc meett.

Christoph Jauera (WMDE) (talkcontribs)

Hey @Kitoko investigador

the meeting is generally open for everyone and any technical question about MediaWiki, gadgets and tools. If you already have something in mind that you want to ask / talk about, you could add your topic on the page under "Add your topic and name" so the mentors could prepare if applicable.

Kitoko investigador (talkcontribs)

so we no have specific topic.

Kitoko investigador (talkcontribs)

but i need know what is the topic you can talk here,

Christoph Jauera (WMDE) (talkcontribs)

We do not have a specific topic in each meeting. It's more like a Q&A session for users that come to us with their ad-hoc topics/questions and then we discuss them in the IRC channel during the meeting time. - I hope that makes things more clear for you :-).

Reply to "informacion"

Is there a meeting in August?

2
Summary by RhinosF1

Yes

Trizek (WMF) (talkcontribs)

The page hasn't bee changed yet with the new meeting time. Since it is summer, I was wondering if a meeting is scheduled for next week.

Thanks you!

RhinosF1 (talkcontribs)
Summary by Michael Schönitzer (WMDE)

We have a second time slot now and we'll see how this works out.

Gryllida (talkcontribs)

For me this meeting starts at 3am. Could you please move the time or create a second meeting at a time that is more convenient to Asia and Oceania?

Birgit Müller (WMDE) (talkcontribs)

Hi @Gryllida, thanks for your interest in this meeting! We are going to discuss the options to offer a second meeting and will let you know (it might take us a bit, though). - best, Birgit

Gryllida (talkcontribs)

Hi Birgit. Thanks. Look forward to your suggestions. 5AM my time would already be OK, I wake up early some days. And please check DST (wouldn't want to see it 5AM, then DST happens and it moves to 3AM again). :-)

Gryllida (talkcontribs)
Birgit Müller (WMDE) (talkcontribs)

Hi @Gryllida, not yet, it will take us a while to discuss this, sorry! We only can offer a second meeting if we're 100% sure we have the resources/time to do that regularly. Moving the current time of the meeting most likely isn't an option, as it works pretty well for some regions including our own (Europe, Africa, South America, parts of Asia ...) (but of course not for all). But if you have anything urgent, you could also ask at , some of the hosts of the Technical Advice IRC Meeting are answering there as well :-). I won't be around in the next 2 weeks, but I'll continue discussing this with the team when I'm back!

Gryllida (talkcontribs)

To make it easier for you, we could make the additional meeting monthly rather than weekly - which is at a timezone that is more comfortable for people who live in Asia and Oceania.

Birgit Müller (WMDE) (talkcontribs)

Hi @Gryllida, sorry that it took us quite a while! We will start with an additional meeting on a monthly basis on August 1st - the time is 23:00 UTC! Hope to see you there :-)

Michael Schönitzer (WMDE) (talkcontribs)

@Giftpflanze Hi, are you planning on joining one of the next Technical Advice IRC Meetings with your question? You're welcome!

Summary by Michael Schönitzer (WMDE)

Obsolete now since deployed already and not related to the Technical Advice IRC Meeting.

Whatamidoing (WMF) (talkcontribs)

Contributors/Projects/Removal of the 2006 wikitext editor should be on the deployment train for this week. It looks like @Arkanosis has a replacement script ready – which is excellent news – but @Michael Schönitzer (WMDE) and the rest of the WMDE team might want to take a look at it in advance. The change will have reached most of the non-Wikipedia projects just before this meeting starts, and this discussion indicates that a few gadgets/user scripts might need to be updated.

I've already pinged @THE IT at de.wikisource.org about this, as he's the only person at that wiki who can install gadgets. @Mpaa, @Hesperian, @Zhaladshar: The English Wikisource has no interface administrators, which means that you cannot fix scripts or install gadgets. I think you will want to change that ASAP.

Mpaa (talkcontribs)
Arkanosis (talkcontribs)

Hi everyone. Please don't waste your time trying to understand everything Od1n and I have talked about on frwp: the French Wikipedia is special, in that it has had an alternative implementation of the 2006 toolbar for years, which is much more used than the mediawiki.toolbar which is being retired. A good part of our problems is the result of this.

For all other wikis that I'm aware of, what I've documented at mw:Contributors/Projects/Removal_of_the_2006_wikitext_editor#Alternatives should be enough. Feel free to get in touch with me if I can be of any help. I'm no global interface admin, but I might be able to offer some guidance.

Cc'ing Africa Wikimedia Developers mailing list for TA-IRC Meeting reminders

7
Summary by X-Savitar

Thank you very much for Cc'ing us @Michael Schönitzer (WMDE), we're grateful :)

X-Savitar (talkcontribs)

Hello @Michael Schönitzer (WMDE), could you please when sending out reminder emails for the TA-IRC Meetings Cc the AWMD mailing list? Here is it: african-wikimedia-developers@lists.wikimedia.org.

I've been forwarding your emails from mostly Wikitech-l to our mailing list but please we'll be very happy if you could just put us in copy. :) Thanks a lot!

Michael Schönitzer (WMDE) (talkcontribs)

No problem! I add it to the list!

X-Savitar (talkcontribs)
Michael Schönitzer (WMDE) (talkcontribs)

I sent todays mail to it but it got stuck in the filter since I'm not on the list. Are you an admin of the list? If so can you please set me to the whitelist? Then I don't need to subscribe to yet another mailinglist. Thanks!

X-Savitar (talkcontribs)
Michael Schönitzer (WMDE) (talkcontribs)

Perfect! Thanks.

X-Savitar (talkcontribs)

Archive previous years e.g. 2017

2
Summary by Michael Schönitzer (WMDE)

Done. :)

X-Savitar (talkcontribs)

Hello,

Just a little concern, is it possible to archive previous years like 2017 in order to make the page (logs) too long? This will make users focus on the current year if they want to read something and in case they need previous years, they can just search the archives. Thanks!

Michael Schönitzer (WMDE) (talkcontribs)

Hi! yes, I think that's a good idea! I will at some point soon create an archive and move the old logs there.

Are people involved in this meeting also following the adoption of Discourse?

2
Elitre (WMF) (talkcontribs)

What title says!

Michael Schönitzer (WMDE) (talkcontribs)

Hi! Yes we are and we do also advertise it in the meetings!

Proposal for meeting on use-cases at specfic Wikis...

5
ShakespeareFan00 (talkcontribs)

I'd like to request that at some future date a meeting is scheduled to deal with techncial advice/development issues arising out of use-cases on specific wiki.

In my instance , this would be Wikisource, that as it uses LST/Proofread page extensively has some technical areas which are not necessarily applicable to other Wikimedia wikis.

WikiData is another wiki that does some technical things very differently from sites like Wikipedia or Wikiversity for example.

I hope that this proposal is considered.

Elitre (WMF) (talkcontribs)

Hi! I'm not involved with the people organising this meeting, but am curious :) In the Wikidata case, there are quarterly meetings happening already (https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Events#IRC_office_hours ), so is your suggestion to make one of those entirely centered around a specific community use case? If so, maybe reaching out directly to the organisers of those could help. There's also a lot of other meetings being organized, that are usually listed at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours , that you can join and/or ask whether those could accommodate your request, if the organisers agree with you.

Birgit Müller (WMDE) (talkcontribs)

Hi @ShakespeareFan00, that's a good idea! As for Wikidata, this could be organised very easily, as one of the people also working on Wikidata is already hosting the Technical Advice IRC meeting. On the other hand I think there are already plenty opportunitys for people who want to build tools and other stuff for Wikidata to get advice from Wikidata devs or others, thereas I'm not aware of anything similar for Wikisource. Do you have a guess for how many developers around Wikisource a special office hour could be interesting? On our side, I would need to discuss this idea with my colleagues first, but I definitely think it's worth thinking about it more.

The IRC meetings Elitre mentioned above are mostly "state of art" meetings with focus on a specific product or corner of Mediawiki & seldom offers for volunteer devs and their projects. So it's probably not what you're looking for (if I understood you correctly), but still maybe worth to check if there is something that's interesting for you, too.

ShakespeareFan00 (talkcontribs)

I'm not sure, but a concern has been expressed in the past that certain development efforts had been focused on Wikipedia related functionality, as opposed to "other projects". I am not aware how many active developers there are for Wikisource related things, but I (not a developer) had filed a number of Phab tickets that got (not always favourable) responses, related to issues I'd run into with Wikisource related use cases.

A few of the issues at Wikisource , would not arise at Wikipedia, because it doesn't try to do somethings that are encountered more often on Wikisource. One issue I encountered was that currently ProofreadPage's managment strategy for tracking things directly in page text isn't ideal. A technical meeting focusing on Wikisource would enable the relevant concerns to be expressed to developers, and a "better" content model developed.

I have some other related "ehanchements" related to Wikisource that I'd also like to talk with Mediawiki/Wikimedia developers about. Like for example, it's not currently straightforward to pull content such as quote directly from page text cross-wiki. Wikisource supports LST internally between Wikisources, but not necesarily with other Wikis. (Aside: Also being able to use certain templates cross-wiki would be immensely useful beyond wikisource. It would mean that certain projects could pull a template from say Commons without needing to have a local copy, even if the media was still locally hosted on a specfic project)~~~~

Birgit Müller (WMDE) (talkcontribs)

Ah, okay, sorry I misunderstood you! Well, for this kind of request the Technical Advice IRC meeting wouldn't be the right place, as the goal of the meeting is to support volunteer developers who have questions around their own projects. But you could discuss your idea with the Wikisource Community, and then ask at m:IRC_office_hours or on Wikitech-L if someone would like to organize such a session. Best, Birgit

Elitre (WMF) (talkcontribs)

What the title says :)

Elitre (WMF) (talkcontribs)
Birgit Müller (WMDE) (talkcontribs)

thanks! :-) - and I included the link to the instructions.

There are no older topics