|Component||Contains many components/extensions, listed below.|
|Implemented on Brickimedia and many ShoutWiki wikis, along with other third-party wikis|
Social tools is a term which refers to the SocialProfile extension and various other related extensions, most of which depend on the SocialProfile extension.
Many of the social tools were developed by Aaron Wright, Ashish Datta, David Pean, Jeffrey Tierney and Robert Lefkowitz for ArmchairGM. Currently the SocialProfile extension and other related social tools are maintained by Jack Phoenix.
For a complete list of social tools, see Category:Social tools.
Wikis have many pros and cons compared to social media. Wikis are designed to help people monitor their adversaries (e.g. vandals) through the Recent Changes page, while social media is designed to help people monitor their friends. Wikis generally lack friending features that update them on what their friends are doing; it would be necessary to check the contributions of individual users one by one, except on small wikis where Recent Changes is easy to monitor.
Userboxes are a prime example of a social networking tool that wikis have but sites such as Facebook don't. Userboxes can be collaboratively customized by editing the wiki code and they can be put into categories whose hierarchy is organized collaboratively as well.
Reporting software bugs
Bugs and issues can be reported on Wikimedia Phabricator (highly recommended and preferred) or on any of the talk page of the extensions, but there's a good chance they'll go unnoticed if they are posted on the talk page.
Social tools are in development for supporting echo notifications currently; see the above link for more information.
By default, almost every social tools extension is licensed under the GNU General Public License, version 2 (GNU GPL v2) unless otherwise specified.
- December — ArmchairGM is founded and eventually social tools are being developed
- December — Wikia, Inc. buys ArmchairGM for $2 million
- 28 February — First public release of the SocialProfile MediaWiki extension 
- 21 June — Wikia opens its SVN to the general public, revealing that many SocialProfile features were taken out before the public release.
- 1 July — Rob Lefkowitz's staff access on Wikia is revoked
- July — slowly more features from Wikia codebase are being added into SocialProfile extension
- 12 August — Aaron Wright (Awrigh01), the co-author of SocialProfile leaves Wikia
- 4 September — release of SocialProfile version 1.2 with merely one big changed thing: special page aliases
- 20 September — release of SocialProfile version 1.3 with SystemGifts and UserGifts features and E_STRICT & E_NOTICE bugfixes
- 8 December — Halopedia is moved back to the standard Wikia codebase 
- 22 January — Siebrand adds UserWelcome into core SocialProfile because he sees SocialProfile as an extension package, like the Uniwiki extensions.
- 10 June — UserActivity and UserSystemMessages added into SocialProfile → version 1.4
- 20 January — Jack Phoenix contacts Jimmy Wales (who in turns contacts Gil Penchina, who contacts Jack) about open-sourcing ArmchairGM's skin; in the end, nothing becomes of it
- 8 February — In a private email to Jack Phoenix, Gil Penchina admits that Wikia "dropped support" for social tools
- February — PictureGame, QuizGame, PollNY, FanBoxes and possibly some other related extensions disabled on Halopedia per community consensus
- December — Wikia begins to update their codebase to MediaWiki 1.16 and in the process social tools are removed from their SVN
- Summer — Yevhenii Vlasenko (Zhenya) is working on the UserStatus feature as his Google Summer of Code 2011 project, mentored by Jack Phoenix; Jack Phoenix updates social tools in the so-called "phase II of social tools"
- 1 August — with the kind help of Sean Colombo from Wikia staff, the ArmchairGM codebase finally sees the light of the day
- 6 November — Markus Glaser completes his in-depth code review of the SocialProfile extension
- 14 August — social tools are migrated from Subversion (SVN) to git
- 10 July — contributed patch to work around bug 49280 committed to git
- 22 July — PollNY fixed to be compatible with MediaWiki 1.21.1
- 27 July — QuizGame fixed to be compatible with MediaWiki 1.21.1
- 28 August — ArmchairGM codebase (revision 40097 from Wikia's SVN) committed to GitHub because Wikia's SVN has been shut down
- 29 August — FanBoxes fixed to be compatible with MediaWiki 1.21.1
- 12 September — initial working versions (version 3.0 of both extensions) of the SportsTeams and UserStatus extensions are released
- 3 October — version 2.0 of SiteScout released
- 5 October — Challenge, an old extension used on ArmchairGM from 2006 to early 2007 or so, released, despite not being yet feature-complete
- 10 October — ArmchairGM codebase also duplicated to Gitorious
- 29 July — Initial work on making social tools (currently just SocialProfile) more responsive and mobile-friendly
- January — ArmchairGM codebase also duplicated to Wikimedia Phabricator
- 10 September – (task T145286) Extensions under the social tools umbrella which didn't already have officially removed their deprecated entry points (any other extensions that weren't listed had already removed their old entry point, besides Challenge and MiniInvite), which are: BlogPage, Comments, FanBoxes, LinkFilter, MediaWikiChat, PollNY, QuizGame, RandomFeaturedUser, RandomUsersWithAvatars, Video, WikiForum, and WikiTextLoggedInOut.
- December — Gerrit change 325133 and version 1.10 (Gerrit change 278868, Gerrit change 325141) of SocialProfile released: SocialProfile now has support for Extension:Echo, the notifications extension (task T64520)
- 22 January — The ImageRating extension was requested to be migrated as a gerrit repo in Special:Diff/2369518.
- 24 January — The ImageRating extension was migrated as a gerrit repo by User:QChrisNonWMF in Special:Diff/2371164 and officially recognized as an extension under the social tools umbrella.
The following list gives descriptions of social extensions not included in SocialProfile:
- Challenge – Allows users to challenge each others, and have the loser of the challenge do a specified task (i.e. "edit page X and add info about event Y") and gain points while at it
- MiniInvite – The MiniInvite extension adds two new special pages, Special:InviteEmail and Special:EmailNewArticle, for sending out invitation emails to your friends.
- PictureGame – Allows users to create and play picture games.
- SiteScout – Adds an automatically updating special page for monitoring recent social changes (edits, comments, votes and network updates)
- SportsTeams – Adds networking features to a user's profile regarding sports teams.
- UserStatus – Allows users to add status updates to their profiles.
- VoteNY – Adds a
<vote />tag that allows users to vote on or rate pages.
- Video – Allows users to import videos from external services such as YouTube and Dailymotion.
- WikiForum – Enables a forum on the wiki for users to post in topics and create different boards.
- AJAXPoll – An extension to allow people to create and vote on polls.
- Automatic Board Welcome – Automatically posts a welcome message to new users' User Boards.
- BlogPage – Adds tools for users to create and read blog posts.
- Comments – Allows for a
<comments />to allow users to comment on articles.
- Contribution Scores - Adds a fun metric for contributors to see how much they are helping out.
- FanBoxes – Adds an easier method to create userboxes.
- ImageRating - Adds a new special page,
Special:ImageRating, where privileged users can categorize and rate images.
- LinkFilter – Allows for users to submit news links, and for privileged users to approve them.
- MediaWikiChat – Adds a special page for users to engage in real-time chat.
- NewUsersList – Displays the avatars of the newest users.
- PollNY – Adds various features to allow for creation and moderation of polls.
- QuizGame – Allows users to create and take quizzes.
- RandomFeaturedUser – Adds a tag to display a random user and some info about them.
- RandomGameUnit – Displays a random picture game, poll, or quiz.
- RandomUsersWithAvatars – Displays a set of random users who have uploaded an avatar.
- SiteMetrics – Creates a special page that displays statistics regarding the usage of social tools.
- UserWelcome – Adds user-specific social info where the
<welomeUser />tag is present.
- WikiTextLoggedInOut – Adds
<loggedout>...</loggedout>tags that display different content based on a user's login state.
The following are extensions that haven't been updated in a while, and most likely are broken under modern versions of the MediaWiki software.
- Answers – Provides a question & answer platform.
- Semantic Social Profile – Adds semantic tools to the SocialProfile extension.
- Ashish Datta's résumé
- Reference to Jeffrey's e-mail address on the source code of the MarchMadness extension
- Wikipedia's article about Wikia
- Jimmy Wales' blog post about SocialProfle
- Changeset 10 on Wikia's Subversion
- Changeset 150 on Wikia's Subversion
- Changeset 958 on Wikia's Subversion
- Blog:Halopedia upgrades on Halopedia
- Department of Justice: Idealism is dead
- Forum:Abolishing the Polls, Quizzes and Picture Games on Halopedia
- Changeset 31795 on Wikia's Subversion — eloy removes UserGifts
- Changeset 31796 on Wikia's Subversion — eloy removes UserProfile extension
- Changeset 31798 on Wikia's Subversion — eloy removes PictureGame extension
- Changeset 31799 on Wikia's Subversion — eloy removes PollNY extension
- Changset 31802 on Wikia's Subversion — eloy removes QuizGame extension
- Changeset 31803 on Wikia's Subversion — eloy removes FanBoxes extension
- Changeset 31817 on Wikia's Subversion — Sean Colombo removes a lot of social code
- Changeset 31908 on Wikia's Subversion — Sean Colombo removes CommonNY.i18n.php from Wikia's SVN
- Changeset 31911 on Wikia's Subversion — Sean Colombo removes Wikia's version of RandomUsersWithAvatars
- Changeset 31947 on Wikia's Subversion — eloy removes FlickrImport extension from Wikia's SVN
- Changeset 39110 on Wikia's Subversion — Sean Colombo removes UserProfileStatus, a Wikia Search-specific fork of UserStatus, from Wikia's SVN
- MediaWiki selects eight students for Google Summer of Code 2011 on Wikimedia blog
- Changeset 40097 on Wikia's Subversion
- Gerrit change 76219
- Gerrit change 81687, Gerrit change 81688
- Gerrit change 164689
|SocialProfile||Overview • Developer info • Screenshots • History|
|Other social extensions||Automatic Board Welcome • BlogPage • Challenge • FanBoxes • MiniInvite • NewUsersList • PictureGame • PollNY • QuizGame • RandomFeaturedUser • RandomGameUnit • RandomUsersWithAvatars • SiteMetrics • SiteScout • SportsTeams • UserStatus • UserWelcome|
|Other related extensions
(which do not depend on SocialProfile)
|Answers • AJAXPoll • Comments • ImageRating • LinkFilter • MediaWikiChat • NewSignupPage • Video • VoteNY • WikiForum • WikiTextLoggedInOut|