Release status: beta
|Description||Provides access to the Electron Service for browser based PDF rendering|
|Author(s)||Wikimedia Germany (WMDE) – Roadmap|
|Latest version||continuous updates|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
Translate the ElectronPdfService extension if it is available at translatewiki.net
|Check usage and version matrix.|
|Open tasks · Report a bug|
The ElectronPdfService extension provides access to the Electron Service for browser-based PDF rendering.
The extension provides a handy way to access the Electron Service via a RESTBase API endpoint. The Electron Service provides a new rendering method for Wiki-pages as alternative to the existing OCG/LaTeX rendering. The huge advantage of using the Electron Service is, that the generated PDF will contain all tables as well as rendered infoboxes and other templates which was not possible with the old method. Some more background about the motivation that led to the implementation of the extension and the service can be found here.
And here's an example: PDF for the article about Berlin.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadExtension( 'ElectronPdfService' ); $wgElectronPdfServiceRESTbaseURL = '/api/rest_v1/page/pdf/';
- Done - Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
- Once the extension is installed, the "Download as PDF" link in the MediaWiki sidebar will lead you to a new selection screen.
- On the selection screen you can then choose whether you want to render your PDF using Electron ("Single Column") or using the old OCG/LaTeX renderer ("Two Column").
- After you've chosen the desired rendering method, click the "Download" button to get the PDF.
- Note: if there is no alternative rendering method available on the Wiki, "Download as PDF" will immediately serve you the Electron rendered PDF without showing a selection screen.