Scrum of scrums/2016-07-20
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 2016-07-20
- 1.1 Product
- 1.2 Technology
- 1.3 Wikidata
- No update, working on language switcher on mobile web
iOS native app
- 5.0.5 heading to regression today, expected release to Apple store later this week or early next week
- Development of 5.1 is in progress
- Planning of 5.2 is in progress
Android native app
- Feed is released in beta! (Follow-up bugfix beta release is cooking as we speak.)
- We are starting work on the navigation overhaul.
- Heads-up to RelEng: we are going to talk this week about whether we have bandwidth this Q to transition to Differential code reviews.
Mobile Content Service
- First public feed endpoints are deployed: aggregated + smart random
- Patch for numeric sorting is ready for review (https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/299108/)
- Will be rolling out on test wiki first. Need another test wiki before English Wikipedia (preferably already using UCA collation)
- Fixed security bug in Pageviews Analysis
- Architecture Committee RFC meeting about Cross-wiki watchlist back-end today 2pm
- Blocked - None
- Blocking - Krinkle would like us to stop using buildCssLinks to pave the way for a refactoring. Otherwise, no change.
- Turned off Echo transition flags, now that the maintenance scripts are done. This should improve performance and avoid unexpected side effects.
- Echo features (such as animation when notifications move in list) and bug fixes.
- Flow security fixes merged to master; they were already on the cluster.
- In collaboration with Services (Marko) & Ops (Giuseppe), we transitioned Parsoid to be based on service-runner. Parsoid deploys will resume tomorrow / Monday.
- Tim working on addressing HHVM segfault in preprocessor which was reported by Giuseppe in a security bug.
- Scott & Tim working on a PHP only Tidy replacement which is close to being done.
- OCG (Offline Content Generator) outage this week due to unrelated proxy misconfiguration: T140789
- Blocked: None.
- Blocking: None known.
- Update: Quiet week. Mostly working on bugs and the new wikitext editor. CustomData extension dependency removed from all three remaining Wikivoyage extensions that used it in master; will be able to de-deploy CustomData from production in the next few weeks once the dust settles.
- Blocking: none
- Blocked: none
- logstash.wikimedia.org upgraded to latest Kibana version
- TextCat A/B test results are in: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Report_on_Cirrus_Search_TextCat_AB_Test_-_Language_Detection_on_English,_French,_Spanish,_Italian,_and_German_Wikipedias.pdf
- TLDR: Success
- TextCat demo has new design: https://tools.wmflabs.org/textcatdemo/
- GeoSearch launched: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:CirrusSearch#Geo_Search
- Launched maps on meta, cawiki, hewiki, mkwiki
- This Friday (July 22) in Seattle - data visualization hackathon https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/DataViz_Seattle_hackathon
- This Weekend - the whole team is in Seattle for State of the Map US conference
- issues with eventbus deployment and new schemas, service was rejecting events, had to be restarted.
- reconstructing edit history from mw database, pretty sure it is possible but will know better after thsi week
- scaling pageview API, our new cluster has issues with being able to load data and compact (we needed to change compaction from old scheme)
- Memory issues on scb1001/1002 related to ORES have been partially addressed.
- We'll be seeking dedicated hardware. (Anyone in ops want to reach out to us to help with that process would be great)
- Feed endpoints deployed, but need to revisit using `/feed/featured` as it takes a looong time to MCS to compute it
- Parsoid move to service-runner and service::node completed
- service-template-node v0.4.0 is out - please update soon.
- security issue addressed
- new feature - automatic metrics collection
- Marko out next week
- Verifying T140366
- Reviewing 296699
- Drafting/editing security team job descriptions
- Request security reviews: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Security_Team/Security_reviews
- MediaWIki 1.27.1 security release planed for early August
- Android to differential
- Zuul upgraded this week, should address a bunch of issues
- New SWAT deploy process going ok, reminder to install https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/X-Wikimedia-Debug if you're putting things up for SWAT
- Civi post-upgrade bugfixes
- more work on batch contact de-duplication
- CentralNotice deployed (last week), watching closely for glitches
- No longer serving CN modules on special pages and action=edit (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T139439)
- Upgraded payments to MW 1.27 (LTS!)
- Still hoping to get closer to master, but this buys us a lot of time
- Killed ancient homegrown form template engine (-9,000 loc !)
- Experimenting with scrutinizer-ci
- Pivoting to ActiveMQ replacement work
- Building out new servers
- No blockers
- Blocking None
- Insecure (non-HTTPS) POST traffic blocked completely as of yesterday, may see reports of broken bots/tools - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T105794
- No blockers.
- Back into regular 2 weeks Scrum sprint. Connecting loose ends to get stuff done.
- Reworking jQuery based UI code (minimizing the code base).
- Still working on structured data for Commons.