Scrum of scrums/2014-11-12
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Facilitating: Andrew Otto
- Parsoid cluster upgrade (ubuntu & nodejs versions) completed by ops
- Updates to jenkins jobs to catch syntax errors in config files -- found this hole on Thursday deploy that briefly (2-5 min) caused cluster outage when Parsoid failed to come back up
- Deployed cpu timeout code (set to 5 mins) to kill cpu hogging requests
- Upcoming: Change to the base URL to the wiki instead of the page, patch at https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/170359. This will need a varnish purge if clients can't deal with both versions.
- James in London this week, Roan in NYC
- SWATted a big pile of regression fixes yesterday
- Table editing going to Wikipedias today
- Working on translation dashboard feature for Content Translation
- Allows user to stop and continue translations
- Uses shared database to store translation drafts before publishing
- Need help from ops setting up shared database in beta (and later prod) Task T1254
- Working on improved translation source selection dialog
- Input validataion
- Language pair selection
- Autocomplete improvements
- Generally working on deployment and stablizing the code base for production release in Jan
- Freezing feature development soon
- Testing, testing, testing
- Working with analytics team on CX publishing analytics dashboard
- Working with legal on new MT providers and autosave issues
- #152 mdot/zerodot webroot Accept-Language redirects for zero-rated access: potentially deploying this morning
- beta cluster Q3 update: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering/2014-15_Goals/Q3#Beta_Cluster
- Cassandra puppet module (for RESTbase) review coming along.
- Discussion between Adam and Brandon about zero stuff. Do we need a card?
- #153 logstash upgrade: procurement ticket here: https://rt.wikimedia.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=8805
- UploadWizard refactoring proceeding as planned, a bit slow because of stupid prior mistakes.
- Thumbnail chaining didn't work, standby on that.
- Media Viewer work pretty much wound down for now.
- A few of us will be in AMS this weekend to hack on GLAM and metadata related things
- #151: QA, is this a dependency or are you just reporting a bug?
- patches on the cluster
- Reviews of OOui js, sandboxlinks done; GlobalUserPage next
- HHVM: fixed mem leak, 20% of anons today, Ori working on pybal
- Librarization: CSSJanus, Monolog, cdb
- Editor performance: Ori waiting on Otto to review varnishkafka module patch to allow for multiple instances
- Search: dewiki today, enwiki the 19th; Translate migration Solr -> ES on Nov 18th
- SUL Finalization: Fixing up some bad page moves, otherwise done
- FWIW, card #151 (Multimedia) is unrelated to RelEng/QA as far as we know. It seems to be a production config issue or some such. Can we take it off the wall?
- creating first browser tests for CentralNotice
- started refactoring VisualEditor browser tests for modern syntax and to remove cruft
- working with a college professor who wants to teach using our browser tests
- ongoing Vagrant stuff
- nothing major to report
- Doing WikiGrok A/B test soon
- Nik is working on Wikidata query engine experimentation, met with Wikidata devs
- Templating in core
- HTML templating is merged
- Waiting for Mustache support before MobileFrontend migrates to use core code (Trevor? Jon?)
- brion todo: check in with jon & trevor to see who's doing what
- Focus on CentralNotice
- ResourceLoader module provides campaign configuration, client-side code decides which banner to request
- Solves BannerChooser cache explosion, fixes inexact 'slot' allocation
- Adding browser tests
- CRM: custom fields, custom reportshttp://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Scrum-of-Scrumshttp://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Scrum-of-Scrums
- Internal dashboard: code cleanup
- Finished first round of RESTBase puppetization & tested the setup in labs; now waiting for reviews of
- Need re-imaging of existing test hosts: https://rt.wikimedia.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=8529
- Will soon need hardware: http://rt.wikimedia.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=8824
- RFC discussion surfaced desire to explore splitting front/backend split options within RESTBase; discussion continued in etherpad (http://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/restbase_architecture) -- please join if you are interested.
- New TOC in progress, Flow on officewiki coming.
- Matthias in town, will talk to Nik and Chad about Cirrus search issues
- Card #84, would like Parsoid to handle File:mysound.ogg and File:myvid.webm
- Card #154 Enable $wgContentHandlerUseDB everywhere (bug 49193) : blockers and RobLa leading higher-level discussion
- Card #156 need review of CSSJanus "support for four-value rules", requesting Timo review
- Card #155 use PHP Virtual REST Service to access Parsoid on private wikis (e.g. officewiki); no action item, just something either Flow or VE might get to