Reading/Web/Desktop Improvements/Updates/Offer to potential pilots
Would you like to get the Desktop Improvements?
Would you like Wikipedia in [...] to have the interface adjusted to readers' and contributors' needs?
We are changing Wikipedia to become a friendlier website. When we finish, the new desktop interface will be easier to use, more welcoming, and more intuitive. It will continue being the workshop for contributors. We are gradually deploying the improvements on more and more wikis. We would like Wikipedia in [...] to have the improvements as well.
We are changing one feature at a time. Each change is discussed, developed, and deployed separately. After improving all features, we will improve the overall look. We don't have any vision of the final effect.
How would the changes work?
- If you agree, the improved features will be visible by default both for logged-in and logged-out.
- These changes are for Vector only (it's the default skin). All users of Monobook or other skins will not see any difference.
- Logged-in users will be able to keep the current look individually.
- We will not change the article content (as marked on the graphic to the right). We will not remove any functionality.
- We test the changes a lot. This is how we know these truly are improvements.
- Our decisions are based on research (example) and community feedback (example) as well.
What changes are we going to make?
So far, we have deployed:
- Reconfigured logo - which will allow us to make the header sticky (fixed at the top of the screen). The sticky header will include the search, article tabs, and the user menu.
- Collapsible sidebar - which allows to focus on the content. On some wikis, this has been a gadget.
- Limited content width in articles and similar pages (not special pages or other pages containing logs) - which makes reading and learning easier. For more details about this change, like what we would do with the empty space or how this relates to large tables, see our FAQ.
- Moved and improved search - which allows searching more quickly and effectively (provides pictures and descriptions of the search terms).
- Exposed language button - which helps to notice the interlanguage links and allows to switch between the languages more often. Language switching is up to 4 times faster!
- Consolidated user menu - which makes it easier to understand the context of the links. Also, this will allow us to later make the header sticky.
We will deploy more features in the next months.
How can you participate?
- [The community] Do you agree to have our changes deployed?
- What is your impression? What do you like? What would you like to see changed? Ask below, or write to me. There's still a lot to refine!
- Subscribe to our newsletter.
- Read the pages of the project, and check our FAQ.
- [Tech-oriented] Follow our messages about gadgets and scripts. We provide support to maintain their compatibility.