Reading/Multimedia/Scrum notes/gi11es/2014/02

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to: navigation, search

2014-02-28[edit]

Yesterday
  • Weekly meeting
  • Reviewed and accepted #267 (missing metadata)
  • Reviewed and accepted #273 (keyboard events forever trapped by the viewer)
  • Reviewed and accepted the canvas refactor on #239 (resizing improvements)
  • Reviewed and accepted some CSS improvements by Pau
  • Added new events for #54 ("use this file" link click and image view)
  • Fixed #145 (write tests for prev/next)
  • Fixed #224 (closing the oldschool "use this file" dialog would close the lightbox)
  • Fixed #255 (clicks on site links were needlessly delayed by 500ms for logging)
  • Explored TMH (primarily the JS side) to get a better technical understanding for the next time we talk to Kaltura about the player upgrade. Wasn't as bad as I thought, the bulk of the code is the player and associated code that Kaltura is responsible for. The JS in TMH itself is nasty but it's only 600 lines of code. I did notice that some bugfixes that happened on our copy of the player haven't been ported over to the original. The whole setup with mwEmbed is questionable, but seems to still be used by Kaltura, so moving to ResourceLoader would probably be difficult.
  • Asked Mark to share his EventLogging -> Limn secrets, so that anyone can work on the related tickets (#54 & #198)
Today
  • Start working on #198 and #54 if Mark hasn't started and if he's had time to document the process
  • Otherwise, pick up #274 (tests to prevent future event handling issues like #273)


2014-02-27[edit]

Yesterday
  • Reviewed and approved the last changeset on #118 (permissions)
  • Finished polishing on #146 (blurry placeholder + progress bar) which was accepted
  • Addressed Gergo's concerns on #202 (CommonsMetadata hcard handling)
  • Reviewed Gergo's dotdotdot improvement for permissions' "view more"
  • Reviewed the new changeset on #239 (resizing issues), left a few comments about taking it further
Today
  • Weekly meeting
  • Start working on #198 (stats visualization) if it hasn't been picked yet


2014-02-26[edit]

Yesterday
  • Reviewed and accepted 2 changesets on #118 (permissions), raised concerns on another one
  • Reviewed and accepted the main fix on #239 (resize bugs), recorded a video of the remaining issue
  • Wrote follow-up bugfix and polishing on #146 (blurry placeholder + progress bar)
  • Wrote a fix for #242 (clicking next/prev rapidly can leave the lightbox in the wrong state) bundled with the #146 bugfix
  • Wrote a fix for #236 (left/right arrow should only work with no modifier key)
  • Wrote small polishing for #217 ("Uploaded by")
Today
  • Address Gergo's concerns on #202 (CommonsMetadata hcard handling)
  • Start working on #198 (stats visualization) if it hasn't been picked yet


2014-02-25[edit]

Yesterday
  • Addressed Aaron's and Gergo's follow-up concerns on #146 (show blurry placeholder & progress bar)
  • Reviewed and approved #177 (consolidate multilightbox) and #253 (wrong repo icon)
  • Re-tested #118 (show permissions) and found issues with it
  • Cleaned up Pau's changeset for the new proposed metadata panel animation
  • Wrote a solution for #202 on the CommonsMetadata side
Today
  • 1-on-1 with Rob
  • Start working on #198 (stats visualization) if it hasn't been picked yet


2014-02-24[edit]

Yesterday
  • IRC office hour
  • Re-reviewed and approved #234 (getting rid of data URIs)
  • Addressed Gergo's concerns on #254 (mmv might interfere with anchor link clicks)
  • Addressed Aaron's and Gergo's concerns on #146 (show blurry placeholder & progress bar)
  • Wrote a fix for #258 (lightbox could look broken/image could be too small when opening the viewer)
Today
  • Design meeting
  • Solve #202 on the CommonsMetadata side
  • Start working on #198 (stats visualization) if it hasn't been picked yet


2014-02-21[edit]

Yesterday
  • Weekly meeting
  • Implemented #254 (mmv interfering with anchor clicks/hash)
  • Finished writing the truckload of tests for #146 (blurred placeholder + progress bar), up for review
Today
  • IRC office hour
  • Review everything in the queue
  • Solve #202 on the CommonsMetadata side


2014-02-20[edit]

Yesterday
  • Call with Kaltura
  • Reviewed and accepted a bunch of changesets
  • Cleaned up everything in Bugzilla and filed relevant cards
  • Worked out a solution to the Data URI issue with Gergo
Today
  • Weekly meeting
  • Write tests for #146 (Blurry thumbnail + progress bar)
  • Solve #202 on the CommonsMetadata side


2014-02-19[edit]

Yesterday
  • 1-on-1 with Rob
  • Attended the scrum of scrums
  • Addressed Mark's concerns on #210 (hide mouse cursor when in fullscreen)
  • Addressed Gergo's concerns on #146 (Blurry thumbnail + progress bar) Tests remain to be written
Today
  • Review everything in the queue
  • Write tests for #146
  • Call with Kaltura


2014-02-18[edit]

Yesterday
  • Implemented #210 (hide mouse cursor when in fullscreen)
  • Implemented #213 (make metadata animation more subtle and only happen when the user is new to mmv)
  • Fixed #202 (wikidata author vcard was creating a lot of noise in the metadata panel header)
  • Implemented #214 (make image and controls unselectable)
  • Completed all the features of #146 (Blurry thumbnail + progress bar) Tests remain to be written
Today
  • 1-on-1 with Rob
  • Try to attend the scrum of scrums
  • Review everything in the queue
  • Address all concerns on ongoing cards (7 cards for review right now...)
  • Write tests for #146


2014-02-17[edit]

Yesterday
  • Improved upon Gergo's follow-up work on #211 (Record detailed network performance of all API calls)
  • Wrote #136 (Lazy-loading mmv) and cleaned up a lot of stuff while in there
Today
  • Review everything in the queue
  • Finish #146


2014-02-14[edit]

Yesterday
  • Weekly team meeting
  • Set up the "Points" custom field in phabricator
  • Made good progress on #146 (blurry thumbnail placeholder). I now have the blurry thumbnail appearing and animating into focus on browsers that can do so. Left to do: progress bar and tests.
  • Addressed concerns on #207 (data URIs)
  • Wrote #211 (detailed network performance on all API calls)
Today
  • Review everything in the queue
  • Finish #146
  • Pick up another card


2014-02-13[edit]

Yesterday
  • Reviewed and accepted remaining changesets on #155 (preload next and prev image)
  • Fixed the double image loading issue #207, pending review
  • Fixed the mmv.performance missing dependency, pending review
  • Started working on #146 (show blurred thumbnail + progress bar while loading)
  • Spoke to Evan Priestley from Phabricator about replacing Mingle with Phabricator, he pointed me to their beta board page. It seems like the only missing element is the ability to sum story points, which I've filed. We'll probably need to implement it ourselves (shouldn't be hard).
Today
  • Weekly team meeting
  • Review everything in the queue
  • Finish #146


2014-02-12[edit]

Day off


2014-02-11[edit]

Yesterday
  • Attended the design meeting
  • Reviewed 3 changesets for #155 (preload before/after). 1 approved, 2 still have small issues
  • Reviewed this RfC and commented on it, providing alternative ideas
  • Implemented #176 (getting rid of lightboxHooks)
  • Continued Aaron's work on #191 (blurry image + progress bar prototype), recorded this video of it running, for Fabrice to review
The day after tomorrow (I'm off tomorrow)
  • Wrap up as many remaining cards as possible to finish the iteration

2014-02-10[edit]

Yesterday
  • Approved and tested #196 (bucketing refactor)
  • Approved and tested #187 (button UI code refactor) and fixed a few merging issues (icons visually gone)
  • Tested #186 (panel UI code refactor)
  • Tested #183 (refactored API calls)
  • Spent a while figuring out how I can grep live EventLogging data, because I couldn't compile Ori's zpubsub. After attempting to install alternatives in several languages unsuccessfully, ended up with a Go port of zmqc, used like this.
  • Realized that the sampling factor wasn't part of the labs/live config, so there's no data collected yet, sent the appropriate diff to ops, moved the card (#126) to blocked
  • Reviewed the UI WIP cards sent by Fabrice
  • Reviewed and left concerns on #155 (preload before/after), re-iterated request to add test coverage to a specific function + minor concern about gender validation
Today
  • Review everything in the queue
  • Design meeting
  • Do #176 (lightboxHooks replacement)

2014-02-07[edit]

Yesterday
  • Watched the metrics meeting recording
  • Reviewed and accepted #151 (fullscreen metadata)
  • Tried testing #142 (jsduck as part of vagrant role) but couldn't make it work
  • Tried completing #126 (gather detailed statistics) but couldn't reproduce nor blind-fix the bug Gergo ran into
  • Approved #196 (resize calculation refactor) but hasn't merged yet since it has dependencies
  • Accepted 2 changsets out of 3 on #155 (prev/next preloading), left concerns on the remaining one
  • Reviewed and made a bunch of additions to #186 (refactor panel UI code)
Today
  • Review everything in the queue
  • Review the UI WIP cards sent by Fabrice
  • Do #176 (lightboxHooks replacement)

2014-02-06[edit]

Yesterday
  • Reviewed #155, 2 changesets out of 3 (next/prev preloading) left concerns about cachebusting due to pixel ratios + where code lives
  • Rebased #151 (fullscreen metadata reveal) and saw that it still doesn't work in Chrome/OS X
  • Reviewed #191 (WIP prototype) suggested improvements
  • Reviewed #187 (UI refactoring) left concerns about remaining access to internal objects
  • Reviewer #186 (panel UI refactoring) left similar concerns as #187
  • Unblocked #152 (fullscreen button hidden when feature is uanvailable) by having the core fullscreen change merged + added test assertions to it
  • Accepted and merged #190 (favico gone missing)
  • Accepted and merged one changeset in #183 (refactoring userinfo fetch)
  • Got confirmation from ops that official response is on its way ("delayed by ETOOMUCHWORK")
  • Fixed Gergo's last concern on #126 (gather detailed image load statistics)
Today
  • Review everything in the queue
  • Pick up one free card ready for development and complete it

2014-02-05[edit]

Yesterday
  • Addressed all concerns on #150 (fullscreen controls fading after inactivity)
  • Addressed all concerns on #126 (detailed image load stats)
  • Participated in the call with vimeo.
Today
  • Review everything in the queue
  • Pick up one free card ready for development
  • Contact ops again.